ad: w5yi

Tuner Lube

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK3Q, Dec 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KK3Q

KK3Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone know of a good product to use on a squeaky Palstar tuner?

Thanks in advance.

2. NS3L

NS3L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KK3Q likes this.
  3. KK3Q

KK3Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that. Crazy thing on this end, every time I go to www.palstar.com I get an old version of their site (wo the grease):

upload_2020-12-11_9-44-15.png

But your link took me direct to the new site with the grease button clear as a bell:

upload_2020-12-11_9-45-55.png

Browser cache must need to be dumped. Anyway, thanks for the quick reply, already ordered it.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

KU3X likes this.
  5. W1NB

W1NB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Putting the wrong lubricant in the wrong place in a tuner can cause a lot of trouble.

Palstar used to recommend cleaning roller inductors with isopropyl alcohol. Now they recommend a DeOxit product.

On another website someone who used DeOxit, probably too much of it, had problems. I've cleaned my roller inductor the
    previously-recommended way, with isopropyl alcohol. Some black oxidized residue came off but there was not any difference
    in tuner performance. I'd used the tuner for many years without any cleaning.

Depending on where the squeak is coming from, use an appropriate lubricant in an appropriate quantity. Less is more.
    Do NOT use a graphite or grease lubricant on a roller inductor. Palstar specifically warns against this.