Tuner for Yaesu FT-DX5000MP

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K4SRB, Oct 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K4SRB

K4SRB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wanting this transceiver and I would like a tuner that will work well. Note that the radio is 200W. I have a remote antenna switch and I want a tuner in the shack. I would like a tuner made for this radio but I haven't seen one. I have seen several that are compatible.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It has a built-in tuner rated to match loads from 16.7 to 150 Ohms (3:1 SWR).

Do you need a wider range than that?

3. K4SRB

Thanks for the response! Yes, I have a Mosley beam that is fine. I have an all-band folded dipole that presents over 3:1 on several bands.

4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The MFI-998 is a wide-range auto-tuner that works well with the FTdx5000mp. You must also buy a MFJ interface cable for the FT5K. Note they have three different Yaesu interface cables. Only one works with the FT5K.

The one that works with the FT5K is the MFJ-5114Y4 --- plugs in to the FT5K TX REQ ( RCA jack ).

The 998 is rated legal limit and I use it with the FT5K and an amplifier.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  5. K4SRB

I hadn't seen this tuner, thanks! I'll read up about it.

6. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an MFJ 998RT, this is the auto tuner version, the one without a controller. It is mounted outside at the antenna and gets 12vdc with a bias T via the coax. I use it on radios I repair and put on the air for signal reports. So it has been used with just about every make and model radio including a 5000. I just key the radio with about 40 watts and it auto tunes a 90' wire from 160M to 10M no problem. Then once tuned you can run the power up in your case to 200w or the legal limit if you are using and amp. I love mine.

N4UP likes this.
  7. N4UP

I believe you mean it is the remote tuner version of the MFJ-998. They are both auto-tuners.

I also have a Cadillac antenna tuner ( a.k.a., Palstar HF-Auto ) which works flawlessly with the FT5K, but I prefer the MFJ-998. Might even try the 998RT one of these days if I ever need a remote tuner. All of my antennas are cut for CW so I rarely need a tuner, but for the high end of 40m or 80m the tuner comes in handy.

8. K4SRB

Thanks guys, I'm looking at this tuner not too. I am selling some property very soon and I want to reward myself with a new rig and accessories. How about using a MD-100 mic with the FT-DX5000MP? Would that work?

9. K4SRB

Not sure how that "not" got typed! Disregard that. Can't edit it.

10. N4UP

Yes. The Yaesu MD100 is plug-and-play with the FT5K. No adapter needed. That's the microphone I started with when I acquired my first FT5K five years ago. I would say the MD100 is a good choice, but there are better microphones available.

After using the MD100 for a while I added a Heil headset with adapter cable. Then I added a Heil boom microphone. I do work SSB, but my preferred mode is CW.

I liked the FT5K so much I bought a second one as a backup. And have recently added a mint condition FT-1000-MP-Mark V as my primary backup ( more knobs less menus ). I love the FT5K but I think I will also be using the FT1K for DX. Both rigs are excellent for SSB and CW.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of good rigs out there, and a lot of good microphones that will work.