Tuner/amp advice: What do I need?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7VLO, Jan 11, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KJ7VLO

KJ7VLO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the info. The inverted V is 30 foot and the 20 meter horizontal will be 25 feet from that antenna at a 90 degree angle from the inverted v and will be at 20 feet.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you get higher? Its important.

WZ7U likes this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

To answer your question, using a tuner between the transmitter and amp does not protect your amp from a high SWR. Refer to the amp manual to see how high an SWR your amp can tolerate.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's kind of low.

Getting it higher above ground will reap benefits.

WA8FOZ, WZ7U and KU4X like this.
  5. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, I just reread the article again as I have again and again. Great stuff all around. Thank you for posting.
    The strategy of taping yourself was taught in sales training courses when voice inflection was emphasized. The reason a person sounds to themselves very different than to others: when listening to yourself sound is created through internal bone vibration rather than from air vibrations as when listening to someone else.

Thank you again for making all of us better amateur radio operators.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  6. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

hmm, i dunno... I would not put an amp on those. I bet they're not the best at receiving so if you're transmiting with an amp, you're going to be heard by people you can't hear - I have that problem on 160m - Europe can hear me but I cant hear them o_O

I was in this same boat a few years back - I was just using dipoles and couldnt justify an amp on low dipoles. So I installed a vertical (6btv) rated for 1500 watts - I felt much better about using an amp after that.

Do some research on various antennas and what you can get away with on your land, neighborhood, budget, etc. and invest time/money in that before buying an amp.

7. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What bands are you operating and when?
    Propagation is THE most important part of the ham radio equation. Without it, nothing happens.

Download this article and read Section V about the ionosphere and the various modes of propagation.
    The rest of it is an excellent source of condensed information on antennas, feed lines and SWR. It's worth adding to your "favorites" or "bookmarks" list.

ETA: Want to save a couple of kilobucks?. Instead of spending $$$ on an amp and high power tuner, learn CW. Contrary to popular opinion, it is not hard to learn. It does take discipline and preserverance, though.
    FWIW, I run 50 Watts into a trap/fan dipole 35' AGL and work the world. Under ideal conditions it can be done running 5 Watts.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  8. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That may not be necessary. the radiation patterns of real-world half wave dipoles don't have the deep nulls shown for theoretical dipoles under ideal free space conditions. The nulls fill in and the peaks flatten out.
    [​IMG]

9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

100 watts will do it and does for me since the beginning. Everything is antenna, everything. I suggest you get the Antenna book or handbook from the ARRL. Its about the only good thing that org does.
    Read, try things out and read some more. When your done read some more subjects starting with propagation.
    Amps are for broadcasters on 7.200, Net control, Contesters and those lacking confidence. It's a crutch you don't need.

WZ7U and KA4DPO like this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree 100%. He doesn't need an amp, he needs better antennas. A 100 watt rig on a great antenna will beat a KW on a crummy antenna any day.

WE4E and WZ7U like this.