ad: Radclub22-1

Tuner/amp advice: What do I need?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7VLO, Jan 11, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ7VLO

KJ7VLO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been on HF for about 3 weeks and set up a IC 718 with a LDG Z 100A tuner and an inverted v MFJ 1778 G5RV Jr. 40-10 meter dipole. I can receive from the northwestern US to the east coast; Mass. to Florida. But they cannot here me. I assume a amp is what I need to reach out. My quetion is do I have to replace the 100 watt tuner or can I go through the tuner first then the amp. I have read you should go through the amp then tuner but if you have a on board tuner don't that go through the amp first. Short on funds and Guess I goofed buying the 718 and tuner??

2. 2E0GLN

2E0GLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Low SWR & patience - an amp is the vestige of a failed craftsman.

WA9SVD, KN4XJ, KG4RRH and 1 other person like this.
  3. KJ7VLO

SWR 1.4 to 1.8 on all bands. Should have said I have worked into NW Wa., Alabama and Geogia and local.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  4. K6GP

K6GP Ham Member QRZ Page

Slow down my friend. Just because they didn’t hear you in the short time of 3 weeks doesn’t mean you need to replace your equipment. Sometimes the band is open, sometimes it’s not. I’d suggest sticking with it for a while before buying more stuff. From So Cal, some days I can get the east coast perfectly fine, other days I can’t. That’s with 100 watts and a modest end fed. When the band isn’t cooperating, shoving more power into it won’t really help. I’d suggest working with what you’ve got and learning it’s capabilities before saying it doesn’t work.

KT4PH, WA9SVD, KM1NDY and 6 others like this.
  5. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WA8FOZ and K6GP like this.
  6. KJ7VLO

Thanks all for the support, got the books from ARRL and am playing with the v moving it out to 120 degrees seemed to help and planning to run another horizontal 20 meter dipole 90 degrees off the inverted v. to see what that picks up.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How high is the antenna?

8. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't get the two wires close to each other as they may interact. I agree, put effort and $$ into improving your antenna system first. When it is time for you to get an amp with a proper, resonant antenna system you will not need a tuner but if you think you do the 100 watt LDG tuner won't work. The tuner goes between the amp and antenna

9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As others have posted, 3 weeks is FAR too little time to determine the effectiveness of your arrangement.
    And there's no need for you to go running out for an amplifier.
    And, yes, if you do get one, you will need a higher-capacity tuner.

That said...
    Get yourself some in-person, hands-on advice and assistance.
    Contact/join a local club.

There are three of them in Prescott.
    See:
    https://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

;)

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Antenna improvements are a wonderful suggestion. It would be nice to see a photograph of what you have now, and how it's installed.

Another factor may come into play, though: If "you're hearing them, but they're not hearing you" I'm assuming you mean when using SSB voice. There can be lots of reasons stations don't reply to you, including poor modulation; distortion; poor timing of the call; poor articulation; etc. It can take really "good ears" on the part of the other station who you're trying to contact to dig out a signal that is less than perfectly modulated -- and I hear lots of those every day.

I wrote a little article about that almost eighteen years ago now, and some hams and clubs must have liked it because I can now find that article on line in eleven different languages (even Japanese!), reprinted by various ham club newsletter editors and stuff. It's getting old now, but most of what's there is fairly timeless:
    https://www.eham.net/article/8069

WA4KCN likes this.