Tucson, AZ VHF SOTA. Rain, Cacti and ham!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KE8OKM, Mar 25, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda fun read for those stuck inside!

943B3EED-2269-48AE-8380-16099AD85493.jpeg

Earlier this week I saw I would be in Tucson, AZ on a layover. Thoughts of calling CQ with my 6w FT818 on a warm moonlit night-from some desert mountain and under the stars captivated me! In preparation I sent a couple of emails out to local SOTA activators (who I thank for their input) The common theme was......don’t do it....At night!

Steep cliffs, nefarious people and SNAKES!

Plan B...

Tucson has maybe 2 weeks of rain a year...Yup, it was raining! Not to be deterred, I chose a relatively easy urban SOTA point “Tumamoc Hill.” Tumamoc which is just outside of Tucson is a 3 mile round trip (paved) with 700ish vertical climb.

Hiking up Tumamoc !
    BA8A2024-BDD1-44B9-B200-1474C263A85E.jpeg
    I started up with a 50 degree rain pelting me thinking..if no radio at very least I can get a workout in. If the rain continued I was not willing to sacrifice my FT818.

As I climbed higher into the Desert the rain incredibly abated! Stepping carefully (snakes) just off trail, I quickly set-up my radio and hung my 2m/70cm Rollup-Jpole in a bush-tree high over the Tucson lights!

FT818 in the desert.
    0C7BAE7C-81C1-45F5-A002-5A6D117EF3DD.jpeg

Thanks to all the AZ hams (11 QSOs) that made this activation successful!

I’ll be back for that warm desert moonlit night soon!

“73”
    Erik
    KE8OKM

K7OZI, W9AFB, KL7KN and 1 other person like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You made me look - Tumamoc is slightly NW of "A" Mountain (Signal peak)

Having gown up in the Tucson area, it was nice to see a night photo of the Old Pueblo.

Thanks for posting

K7OZI and KE8OKM like this.