Tubes Can I use the 3cx800a7 vs the 3cpx800a7

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KE8ARD, Feb 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a difference between a static standby voltage and a full bore version including some wild tuning gyrations by some hams.

Yes, Ive run them at 3200V standby but that is 2800V at full power in the several Command and Palstar Magnums Ive worked on.which is only 300V above Eimacs first spec sheet before the FCC spanked them. The 3CX will easily hipot to at least 2X its current 2200V operating voltage spec.

Ive also run 3CPX at 3300-3400V full bore without problems in a different platform. End users report no apparent power loss.....yet.... in EME use and Im sure more than a few of your Lunar Links get similar treatment:rolleyes:

Carl

AC8AC likes this.
  2. KE8ARD

KE8ARD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Pair but dont want to hurt the Amp......The Tubes well I got them right but still $$$ to try

3. KE8ARD

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What plate voltage do you have ?

Wire it for 120v and you will have all of the voltage drop that you need.

I would not worry unless you put the tubes into pulse service.

Good luck. Size fuses properly.

5. KE8ARD

it runs 3100 plate volts and thats to much for 3cx800a7 Amp calls for the 3cpx800a7 but the cost of them exceeps the value of the Amp IMO

But I did talk to a guy today that has the 2500E 3 tuber version he ran the 3cx800a7 at high plate volts such as mine

6. W8NVC

W8NVC Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a Commander HF-2500. It does 2800 on the plate. I have used both 3cx800a7 and 3cpx800a7 without any issues whatsoever. But that is with the original Command Technologies Pat Stein amp. So I can't speak for any other amp. Hope this helps,