Tube Tranceiver

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB9TX, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which tube tranceiver would be the best to restore? I am looking for a project...

Thanks in advance...

Earl
    AB9TX

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you want all the active devices to be tubes/valves? Or are you also interested in hybrid devices that mixed tubes with some solid state?

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to work mostly SSB as far as actually operating the rig once you've restored it, I'd think about a reasonably clean Collins KWM-2 or 2a. More into CW? The Drake TR4, maybe. There are plenty of others out there from Swans to Heathkits, but of those I owned, the Collins and the Drake were, I thought, the highest in quality.

AC8UN likes this.
  4. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many but one of my favorites is the National NCX-5:

[​IMG]

Or, with the optional walnut cabinet:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

N0NB, W7UUU, K2XT and 1 other person like this.
  5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good golly Miss Molly! :) That sure is a pretty rig. Always wanted an NCX-5, but only ever owned an NCX-3.

AC8UN likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My vote: Heathkit SB-101.... amazing rig for its era, easy to work on, absolutely complete documentation online including full assembly instructions!! One of the all-time best tube transceivers ever conceived.

Dave
    W7UUU

[​IMG]

W9JEF, WD4IGX, K9ASE and 5 others like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's certainly a good point. I love the KWM-2, 2A...but I recall some of the wiring harnesses are positively scary. ;)

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're gonna be "scared" of the radio you probably don't want a tube xcvr :) That's a joke, Rod, no offense.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The NCX-3 was sold during the bottom of a past solar cycle so it is just the ticket for this one.

Well built, great SSB audio, over 10K sold so prices are low even with the PS.

Bare bones no bling such as RIT:rolleyes: I used one for commuting for several years.

Carl

W4ZD likes this.
  10. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was a kid in the mid 60s my Elmer had one in his car. I thought it was the cat's meow. :) Fast forward to late 80s/early 90s, and I bought one, fulfilling a "kidhood" dream. For the time it was a pretty decent rig.

KM1H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.