Tube Receivers are less Expensive now

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N8FVJ, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

USPS doesn’t even have a “manager”. It’s overseen by the Postmaster General. He says inflexible government rules, not Amazon, are the cause of their economic woes.

N0BUP, N2EY and W8KHK like this.
  3. N8FVJ

I talked to a manager that works for USPS. He is not a ghost!

4. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that certainly sounds like a credible source of information. I’m sure he’s more privy than the Postmaster General to the profits and losses of the Postal Service.

N2EY and W8KHK like this.
  5. N8FVJ

He is not the Postmaster General. I ask him what his title is next time I talk to him and convey that information to you. To be perfectly clear, my post is not my opinion as you implied. It is the USPS employee's opinion. Further, I do not work for USPS.

6. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is why I qualified my statement with "for active operators". I see that point may not have been stated adequately.

Since this is the AM forum and an active operator will almost certainly be in a crowded part of the band, SDR widgets can make all the difference in communications effectiveness.

Yes, if it's about having the receiver you sought in younger days or one with nice looking dials then go for it.

I sold all my old receivers back in 1991 when I discovered the R-390A. The sharp filtering was the best affordable QRM fighter back then. It's still here next to the SX-28A which the collector part of me had to have but they are dusty.

Fast forward to today. My R-390A sits idle because the noise blanker in one of my riceboxes removes all the neighborhood noise here and the R390A sounds like it's clipped onto the high tension mains line.

I've also been lucky enough to have used all the common old receivers one finds in people's shacks and QRZ lookup pictures.

I've been involved in several large estate liquidations and sold many items as tested. Lots of different gear used on the air.

Also operated from other folks shacks . Why mention this? Just to qualify what went into what I say.

My shack has a simple HDSDR dongle connected to the first I.F. of a riceburner. That's about 20 dollars and a little software installation/setup which someone did for me.

One of my friends has an RF Space SDR IQ and the bandwidth flexibility, multiple notch filters, synchronous detection, spectral display and other features just leave Saint James Grey and chrome strips in the dust. They are not for everyone though.

Dave W2VW

W2BTK likes this.
  7. N8FVJ

I use a Hallicrafters SX-111. Nothing special about this receiver, but is reasonably quiet and selective. What makes all the difference is I use an AM COM DNR speaker. Most of the static is gone with a slight hiss in the background. Due to this I can hear clearly weak stations down to the band noise. One other attribute that the DNR speaker cannot remove is summer lightning crashes. The DNR speaker actually learns what the static is and removes it. It tales a few seconds before the DNR speaker removes the static. However, the lightning crashes are too brief in duration to be removed. The noise limiter in the SX-111 is of unusual design using a triode tube vs a diode tube. It knocks down lightning crashes to about 25% and adds very little distortion. At 25% it does nor interfere with hearing every word transmitted.

8. W2BTK

W2BTK Ham Member QRZ Page

With the amount of operators on the air right now, an SDR rx is almost necessity for me. Too much QRM. I routinely have to shut down one of the sidebands, and notch multiple areas in the left-over passband. A vintage receiver is nice, but for me undesireable in a super-crowded environment. (Every single night in the 'AM ghetto') It's the difference between having an enjoyable QSO and not having a QSO at all due to interference. I don't have any need to be vintage, just wanna hear the people I'm talking to. If everyone was a little more respectful you'd probably see me running a vintage RX. I have a hallicrafters SX100 over here, but I have to be in the mood for punishment if I'm gonna use it on a crowded band. SDR is a big step up for hearing stuff, THROUGH stuff.

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have extra mechanical filters in my 75A-4. Normally use a 8 kc filter; when the band is congested I use the 6. I have a 4 and 3.1 available (outboard) when the going gets rough, but rarely have to resort to those. My Sherwood SE-3 analogue synchronous detector does not null or filter out the QRM, but makes it transparent. The interference is still there and I can still hear it, but can hear the desired signal right through it. Kind of like carrying on a conversation in a crowded room where there is a party going on. The human brain can filter out crud when attention is focused on the person's voice you are listening to.

With the envelope detector, the crud intermodulates with the desired signal as well as with all the rest of the crud, so that the crud becomes opaque.

10. N8FVJ

Due to my age my brain loss the ability to filter out background noise and this shows up on the receiving background noise as a problem. But, the AM COM DNR speaker solved that problem for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.