ad: Alphaant-1

Tube Receivers are less Expensive now

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N8FVJ, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Shipping costs is ridiculous now. Cannot afford to ship anything over 35lbs now. I did pay $35 to have a 29lb Globe Scout 65 shipped to me, but only a few states away and the transmitter was only $65.
    Blame Amazon for higher prices as USPS has raised consumer costs to cover Amazon! Corona virus has reduced ebay sales greatly. Everyone is in survival mode and 700,000 people have been laid off from work!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. N8FVJ

Although the sellers market is greatly reduced with local pick up, it makes sense on heavy boat-anchors as shipping costs are thru the roof now.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Flat rate boxes are a solution IF the item fits inside a flat rate box. Up to 70 pounds anywhere in the USA including AK and HI

This results in the odd situation of being able to ship a power transformer that weighs 50 pounds from coast to coast for a fraction of what it costs to ship a 25 pound radio a few hundred miles.

4. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL... a few years ago the late Alan Douglas sent
    me a pile of potted UTC chokes, all crammed into a flat rate box!!!

Darn box weighed a ton!

Even better deal, if you ship a lot, is to grab some USPS regional flat
    rate Priority boxes. These have to be ordered on line from the USPS, but
    when shipping to nearby postal zones the rates are even better.

I did receive a NC-303 a few months ago that was shipped from the south, shipping wasn't
    as bad as I feared.

One other trick is to have a friend who has a commercial account with UPS or
    FedEx. They can often ship and receive packages for you at much cheaper
    rates. In the old days Macken Electronics would let me use their accounts
    for UPS--saved me a lot. Sadly, he was the last electronics part store to fold in the
    Springfield MA area.

Pete

N2EY likes this.
  5. N8FVJ

I use flat rate for transformers and large lots of vacuum tubes that can add up in weight.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back when I first was licensed, shipping cost was just another one of those little nuisance fees added to the order, like sales tax and money order fees. Even back in the 70s and 80s when I subscribed to Ham Trader Yellow Sheets, the shipping cost for most items I purchased, including a few transformers, was at least reasonable. Now, the shipping cost has become absurd and may easily exceed that of the merchandise itself.

What makes it worse, the shipping agencies don't give a rat's arse about how the parcel is handled/abused along the way. I once had a UPS employee tell me outright that in-transit damage to merchandise inside a package was irrelevant and not their concern; their job was only to move it from point A to point B, PERIOD. "That's why we have insurance." This is especially offensive, given the exorbitant prices they charge for their 'service'. And expect 'insurance' to try every trick in the books to wiggle out of paying a claim. First and foremost, they try to claim that the merchandise wasn't packed properly, sometimes even when it was done at a UPS or FEDEX store.

What is the explanation for how that works? You would think that due to the high volume of business they do with Amazon, it would reduce costs to all customers. Or do they take a loss from Amazon to cover the 'free shipping' benefit via Amazon Prime and for purchases over a certain amount?

Bottom line: are to-day's shipping charges a blatant ripoff or not?

AC0OB and N2EY like this.
  7. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Think I still have a Collins 75A3 in a box somewhere in the attic. Fixed it decades ago and owner never picked it up. Use to restore ole WW-!! era radios years ago when radios were works of art and as big as a console TV. Now guitar amps and stereo amps I still use and tubes are still preferred amps AF and RF alike because they go into distortion much smoother and the higher impedance is easier to work at high power.

But for RX today, tubes cannot compete, not even in the same league like a high school team playing a NFL team. All that heat generating thermal noise, hetrodyne mixing distortion, image rejection, dynamic range. I mean c'mon no contest today not to mention extremely environmentally unfriendly and politically incorrect. Wait until the Green Mafia finds you. :cool:

8. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

whats amazing is the part count in solid state/digital. THOUSANDS of caps,resistors,diodes. a hundred transistors. and the stuff is still reliable...

9. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

WJ4U, K4KYV and W1BR like this.
  10. W7KNX

W7KNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I ha
    I have a Hallicrafters SX-28 that was manufactured in January 1942. The ANL was not designed specifically as a noise blanker but it outperforms all of my modern receivers in the AM mode when it comes to eliminating the effects of my neighbors (two of them) electric fences. It is a genuine pleasure to listen to and fun to OPERATE. Most modern equipment does not require much operating skill. It's also a challenge to keep vintage equipment running which is part of the intrigue. What I am curious about is why you feel the need to post here. This forum is for people who are interested in amplitude modulation and/or vintage AM equipment. Since you are a cutting edge technology kind of a guy why waste time posting here?

W3KHG, WD4IGX and WA5VGO like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.