ad: elecraft

Tube Receivers are less Expensive now

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N8FVJ, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fewer hams still on the air who remember the days when tubes were king. Even fewer who are still physically able to man-handle a typical tube-type receiver. So naturally, demand has gone down and therefore prices have decreased.

N2EY, W1BR and K1LKP like this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I may have told this story before, can't remember. But anyway, a few years ago I was at the Chicago 6 Meter Club hamfest which is every June. I was in a space next to Warren W9OWV (now SK). Warren had been the factory manager at Hallicrafters for a few years around the time of the SX88 and was the area expert on Hallicrafters restoration, and owned several SX28s, an HT-4, a few HT-9s and a number of BC610s of different models, plus accessories and parts. When he got up in his 80s he began to see the end coming eventually and started to sell a lot of his work. That day he had a few nice SX28s for sale at reasonable prices. A younger ham who was not um, athletically fit and showed signs of high carb consumption and sedentary behavior bought one. What's a SX28 weigh, around 60 lbs.? He returned with a helper and a pickup truck. The two picked it up grunting and commenting on its weight, and carefully set it down in the bed of the truck, as if they were moving a Meissner 150B. All of us in attendance gave each other one of those "you gotta be kidding me" looks. We gots to work out and consume protein to maintain muscle mass. I'm dismantling and rebuilding a 3 KV 1A power supply. It has a sweet Tobe 8 KV 10 mfd oil cap that weighs 55 lbs. That's no problem but the 200 lb Thordarson plate transformer is posing a problem that requires a crow bar and some rollers.

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep - and more:

1) The costs of packing, shipping and various eBay fees have cut deeply into the market. A receiver that sells for $200 but costs $100 to ship is a $300 receiver.

2) The "magic" of eBay is OVER.

3) The true rarity of many things has been revealed. What was once considered "rare"....isn't. Same for the actual real-world performance.

4) Many BA enthusiasts have everything they want/need, and have no place for more. In many cases they're in reduction mode, not acquistion mode.

5) Some BIG collections have been sold recently, diluting the market. N3IBX, for example (I knew Joe....)

6) In the current situation, many are pulling back from buying anything non-essential.

W1BR likes this.
  7. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For active operators the writing is on the wall. Inexpensive SDR receivers totally outperform older designs.

An exception would apply to those who believe in flying unicorns.

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

AMEN and many hams believe in unicorns and FM. There is a very good reason they are cheap. No more use for them.

W2VW likes this.
  9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5LJW, what vacuum tube superhet receivers do you have or have owned in the past?

W7KNX and N2EY like this.
  10. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For several years I've been looking for a RME-6900.... but when appeared locally on the FB marketplace for a really cheap price I let it slide. In the
    past few years I unloaded three SX-42 receivers. Right now I am keeping busy restoring what I already have on the bench. I'm going into a
    clean out phase and concentrating on what I want to keep, and what needs a new home. How do you ship a B&W 5100 these days??

People who write inane comments about SDR performance are missing the point entirely. Most of these vintage sets will still be running long
    after the current crop of SDR wonders joins the flat panel TV sets in the local recycling yards. It is not about "performance." Regardless,
    I will take a skilled CW op with a vintage station over some guy running a CW reader and keyboard.

K0ELB, AD5HR, WD4IGX and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.