TSSOP Is A Nightmare :)

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by VK4FFAB, Mar 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

Started work on the next part of many plans i have going on ATM. An audio compressor, and i just wanted to say soldering TSSOP packages really sucks LOL And if you do not know how small that package is, its 6mm by 4mm. I needed to use the hubbe telescope to remove all the solder bridges LOL

DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0077.JPG
    solderbridge.jpg

AJ6AH, KD2ACO and W7UUU like this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Nope, not for me...

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job!!

I used a commercial "factory style" SMD soldering station a while back - had binocular high-power microscopic optics and a heavily damped soldering iron arm. It was just like I was soldering 10 gauge wires together, it was that easy!!

If I were to do a lot of surface mount, I'd definitely invest in a machine like that that makes it child's play. By hand? Not for me :)

Again, good job

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, K9ASE, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  4. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a nightmare or just not at all Charles :)

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About thirty years ago, just out of school I was assigned to design a 900 MHz ISM band FM transmitter and matching receiver. Our company made the jump to surface mount for that product line. We hand soldered all the early prototypes under a magnifying glass, holding the parts down with a toothpick while soldering. But I was young and foolish and now the old foolish me wouldn't stand a chance hand soldering that stuff without specialized equipment.

Good on ya!

VK4FFAB likes this.
  6. KA6WKE

KA6WKE Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the griddle side of a waffle maker with temp set on high to successfully reflow SMD parts. Parts down to 0403 sized caps and SSOP devices. What I do is put solder paste to on each of the pads then place the part. On a standard FR4 PCB it takes about 90s for the solder to reflow. Parts typically center up on their own due to surface tension but sometimes I have to lightly tap the board to get things moving.

73! Mark KA6WKE

Author: 4NEC2 The Definitive Guide
    EMail List:: 4nec2defguide@groups.io
    Subscribe: 4nec2defguide+subscribe@groups.io

KI4ZUQ, KB4QAA and KD2ACO like this.
  7. KN4JRD

KN4JRD Ham Member QRZ Page

As a professional rework tech(IPC 7711/22 certified) TSSOP isn't that painful. The easiest way is to add too much solder then use solder wick to remove most of the solder back off. not the "Right" way but for most things it's more than acceptable. It'll also allow you to use larger tips.

Smallest thing I've hand soldered was a SOT563 package TMP102, 6 pin in a 1.6mmx1.6mm foot print.

N8VIL, WA7PRC and KD2ACO like this.
  8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh. Easy. You do know the board on the right of the photo with two boards has a short between two pins, right?

VK4FFAB likes this.
  9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Need plenty of liquid solder flux, and just solder the chip in, don't worry about solder shorts. In the next step, you use solder wick to remove the shorts and be sure have the pins soldered good to the pads.
    Not a nightmare, but also not for the skittish!!! My coworker uses a Microscope to solder each individual pin. I use a LOUPE
    then use a good flux cleaner to remove the flux, which is very messy

K8AI and TF3G like this.
  10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Flux, microscope, wick, steady hand. I'm doing layout on a board right this minute with itty-bitty parts. Loading boards by hand for prototypes isn't bad after you do it a bit.

DBox+ comp.jpg

For radios, I prefer working on boat anchors and amps (big parts you can see), although they have their PITA moments too.

Good on ya though for getting into it!

KB4QAA, WA7PRC and VK4FFAB like this.