TSA and Ham Radio

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KW6MOT, Apr 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back when I travelled with my first laptop they always wanted to see it boot up. What a pain. That old brick was painfully slow. Pre TSA days.

2. N1GMV

N1GMV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to travel a LOT as in every week and always had a handheld in my briefcase. Not once did it even raise an eyebrow. Even by inspection at TeleViv airport.

3. KC8GWH

KC8GWH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have flown 3 times recently, 2 or 3 ht's in my carry on bag and it was never questioned.

4. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I just flew with an HT and a dual band mobile in carry on. I put the radios in a smaller pouch in my carry on, and put that pouch separately through the x-ray scanner. (I wasn't asked to; I just figured 'if I have to take my laptop out anyway....')

No questions at all. I just re-assembled my bag after the scanner and went to the gate.

Jon
    AF7TS

KC1GHR likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup and basically anything else that's "electronic" that's on your person.

Not sure why exactly but I suspect it has something to do with making sure the device is "real."

This includes an Icom T-90A that I had on my belt. Eventually, it just became a hassle to deal with at security, so I just put the HT in my checked luggage instead. Can't use it during flight anyways.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As heavy as it was it could have been a bomb!

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I sometimes get pulled off at small airports when I have the antenna separated from my ID-51. I guess the antenna looks like a sharp object.

Mark N5RFX