ad: MyersEng-1

TSA and Ham Radio

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KW6MOT, Apr 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Never had a problem travelling with a radio domestically or internationally. I've taken my KX-1 along now and then and I've taken a 2m HT both domestically and overseas. I kept them in my carryon luggage.. not once did anyone ask anything.

2. W6DTO

W6DTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Several years ago I had the same concern while traveling with my QRP go-kit. A few days prior to the flight I drove to a smaller local airport with the go-kit to show TSA what I wanted to carry onboard. The agent I spoke with assured me that they see amateur radio equipment all the time and not to worry. He did suggest placing a copy of my FCC license visible in the bag containing the radio equipment.

3. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering the seemingly random enforcement of TSA "rules" at the many airports I have been to in the last 15 years, I would say your test isn't as useful as you hoped. You could literally have driven from the airport where the guy gave you the approval to the next airport and been arrested for bomb making supplies.

Highly inconsistent.

4. KG5FCO

KG5FCO Ham Member QRZ Page

One question. When traveling with an HT in carry-on, do most detach the battery and ant? I don't often fly and am considering taking my FT2-DR.

5. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Leave the battery in. Up to you on the antenna. Off, less chance of breaking the connector, more chance of getting lost.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes they ask you turn on the HT. They want to verify it actually functions for some apparent reason.

KW6MOT likes this.
  7. KG5FCO

KG5FCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a follow-up. As stated earlier, they just wanted to look at the antenna. No issues or question.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They will only confiscate 5 of them, So that you can not remote control 5 explosives. :eek:

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just make sure they are all charged and functional, should you need to demo them.

And if you do loose cells and battery holders, either have the batteries in the radio, or use an airplane-approved battery case. Sometimes they frown on loose batteries in your luggage.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a good idea.

Lion batteries are getting a bad reputation.