TSA and Ham Radio

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KW6MOT, Apr 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KW6MOT

KW6MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

When I travel from state to state in the USA and get on a plane am I able to bring my 6 handhelds? Or will they be confiscated?

KK4FQB likes this.
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

No problems flying with HT's. But 6?!?

Steve
    KV6O

K5ELF and WA7PRC like this.
  3. KW6MOT

It was just a number I pulled out of a "hat" i usually take 4 but 2meter, 900mhz, 2 70cm

4. KG4ERE

KG4ERE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently flew coast to coast with a mag mount, 1/4 vhf antenna, and handheld in my carry on. The only thing they were concerned about was my travel size contact lens solution.

5. KW6MOT

OK great to know thank you very much this was very helpful I tried doing research but some sites said yes some said no

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once they had an issue with a morse code paddle (not the one in my avatar). It was a big hunk of metal that they didn't recognize, and it blocked the X-rays. But I told the officer it was a morse code paddle, and he was pleasant, and said his supervisor was a ham who had gotten some of the other officers interested.

So in my case, they had to open the suitcase and swab the item, but they were fine with it once they figured out it was radio gear.

Ham radio gear is one of the things that's on the TSA's list of approved items.

7. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I need six pairs of reading glasses when I leave the state.

8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an IC-7000, HT, coax, balun, android & 2 laptops in my carryon. They had me put each laptop in trays & everything else stayed in.
    I think the TSA is a complete waste of our money.

Ed

K5ELF, NT5U, N3AB and 2 others like this.
  9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Earlier this week I flew with 4 HTs and two computers in my carry-on bag. The X-ray operator scanned the bag, looked over at me, and gave me his callsign. :)

(4 HTs = two analog HTs because my father gets a kick listening to the AAR frequencies when trainspotting, and two DMR HTs because doing new code plugs was next on my project list; 2 computers = 1 work, 1 personal)

K4BMW, KM4SII, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  10. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Geeze, you know they make multiband rigs, right?

K4BMW and K9CPE like this.