ad: Bamatech-1

ts830s good headset match

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KC1KVU, Feb 23, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC1KVU

KC1KVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    New tech license, just bought my first radio at a ham fest. It didn’t not come with a mike. Anyone have good luck with a headset that matches up with this radios 4 pin connector? Looking for a good mike to pickup my voice and not need to shout.
    Thanks
    Bud

2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

You can convert a gaming headset easily enough. Just make sure you get one with a dynamic mic, not condenser, because the 820 has no phantom power on the mic line.

However, I would suggest you look for a Kenwood MC-35. It's a hand mic, but sounds great with the Kenwood hybrids. I use one with my 520, and always get complements on the transmit audio. You can also use the MC-30. The 35 is the Hi-Z version; the 30 is Low-Z. Both will work with your rig.

BTW - congrats. The 830 is a super rig.

3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

The '830s requires a low impedance (Lo-Z) dynamic microphone.

Any headset with that kind of mic should be fine.

4. KC3RN

Actually not. The 830 will accept anything between 500 and 50k ohms (as per the manual).

5. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct!

My bad!

Too early in the morning.;)

I meant to recommend Hi-Z.
    That's the setting I used on my dual-impedance MC-50 when I had an '830s back in the late '80s.
    Was a long time ago. :cool:

6. KC3RN

I hear ya!!!!!;)

7. KC1KVU

Thanks, I did a lot of reading before buying it. It was over built from what designers have said, I’m very new to all this but will to learn.
    Bud

8. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Koss SB40 headset. Dynamic element, very comfortable headset. I use one straight into my TS850S.

KC1KVU likes this.
  9. K4EM

K4EM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard good things about the Koss SB40 on SSB. If you need an adapter for the cable's there are several folks on Ebay that sell quality adapter cables. I've bought a couple of adapters from 'k6vhf_adapters', GL.

Dave
    k4em

KC1KVU likes this.
  10. KC1KVU

Look nice, 2 mini phone plugs looks like.