ad: elecraft

TS590S with outboard dual simultaneous receiver

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KU7I, Jul 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KU7I

KU7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking to add dual simultaneous receive capability to the TS590S. I am looking at using my Icom R70 or Kenwood R-5000 as the outboard receiver. MFJ makes a switch, the "MFJ-1708B-SDR SDR RF SENSING T/R SWITCH WITH SO-239:. Here is the website: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1708B-SDR. This looks like it will provide the receive antenna line needed while offering mute capability from the TS590S. Has anyone else used this?
    Lane
    Ku7i

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the 590 had provision for external rcvr built in? no?

3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

No, the TS-590S does not.

The newer TS-590SG has the capability of tapping it's IF for an external receiver.

And the even newer TS-890S has the built-in capability of using a TS-590S or 'SG as a second receiver.

WR2E likes this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I use an MFJ-1807B-SDRS to connect an SDRplay as a second receiver for my TS-590S.
    Use VSPE port-splitter and OmniRig to link them together and to N1MM+ contest logger.
    Works great.
    ;)

5. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not quite correct. The TS590SG has a built-in splitter in the RX input path. So you get the full band width instead of the limited band width of an IF tap, but pay for it with a 3 dB loss in the RX path (which does not matter on HF in most cases).

But it's true the TS590S does not have this feature.

WR2E and KS2G like this.
  6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Most rigs have had a phono/RCA socket on the back for this purpose for decades . . .

Why not just fit one, wired to the receiver input side of the rig's Antenna relay?

Roger G3YRO

7. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using the mfj t/r switch for several months now,and works flawlessly. Go for it and enjoy.