ad: wmr-1

TS440 no CW rf power.

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W5NKE, Mar 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W5NKE

W5NKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello friends,

Late model TS-440S/AT (no dots! yay!)

I was getting my feet wet with RTTY the other night and noticed my signal was not quite right.
    During initial setup & use with FLDIGI I was able to set ALC and power with the carrier knob (it was very sensitive in one spot.) and eventually begin calling CQ. After about 10 calls it blew a head gasket and had no power on the meter & no ALC indication.

I often use my RSPDx and SdrPlay with antenna unplugged (so as to not blow up the rspdx) to check signals during TX. Prior to the problem, I could see a clear double peak when operating RTTY, afterwords nothing...
    Checked TX on CW mode, also nothing.

I can see a carrier if I use the auto tuner, (which switches to and uses CW mode...) I can see a carrier in AM mode and can adjust the intensity with carrier adjust knob. LSB, USB, and FM seem to all function normally.

I plugged the antenna in on my SDR to see if there was any signal at all in CW and there was a wideband puff where a carrier should have been during keydown.

HELP!
    73s
    W5NKE

2. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Slide the switch on the top to the middle or right position.

W5NKE likes this.
  3. W5NKE

W5NKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Brilliant!
    Ok this worked to get a functioning carrier, but why would vox need to be on now where it did not before?

4. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

If you turn VOX off you have a code practice oscillator. On and it transmits CW. And it was on before you just didn't realize it. That's the way the radio operates, it's covered in the OM.

W2VW likes this.