TS-850S Dimmer Circuit Info

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by VE3TMT, Jan 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The lighting is very uniform, looks like the original lighting, except LED.

2. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks great. Nice job. I get nostalgic for the 850 I sold many years ago. I wonder if its still alive somewhere.

3. VE3TMT

This one is probably my 5th or 6th. It's a 50xxxxxx unit, newer chips. Replaced all the caps just for peace of mind. If course that great Kenwood audio!

4. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently made a UV led panel of some 300+ LEDs for a Uv lightbox..... I use a DC to DC adjustable converter LM2576-adj (careful with these. Note: -adj, some are fixed), this allows me to set the LED current AND brightness - some 3 Amps plus or so with very little heat. the supply source is a switcher giving 24V at some 5 Amps, where it came from I dunno, maybe a printer or monitor I clodded out - sure glad I didn't clod that out.

Ironically the very next day I finished it I went to a local QRP rally and bought George's (G3RJV now sadly SK) UV light box for next to nothing, I just couldn't resist.....!

Dave

5. EA3HYN

EA3HYN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, you made a very good work. Congratulations.

6. GI4OHH

GI4OHH Ham Member QRZ Page

when you added 2 watt resister did you have to cut any traces on back of dimmer switch
    thanks derrick

7. VE3TMT

Hi Derrick,

The dimmer switch is a DPDT switch. You have to isolate all 6 contacts, which is pretty easy.

Wire the power to the light strip direct from the 10V regulator through the resistor.

The switch is used to short out the resistor when in NOR mode. When you push the switch in, the contacts open and the resistor is back in line, reducing the brightness.

Max