TS-830s problem

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by M0GHX, Apr 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. M0GHX

M0GHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,
    I have a problem with a TS-830s that I can't get my head around. 210A on the rectifier unit is around 255 volts dc. AC210 is as it should be but on the positive side of D6 I have 255 volts DC and I can't find where it's coming from. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

The DC voltage is coming from diode D6 ! (it recifies the 210V AC - slightly lower than you would expect, due to the 470 ohm series resistor)

Roger G3YRO

3. M0GHX

Hi Rogr,
    I've got 210 volts ac on the negative side of D6 and I've got 255 volts dc on the positive side of D6.
    de Chris SV0XBQ/9

4. G3YRO

Yes . . . as I explained, that sounds about right to me !

Why do you think it isn't?

Roger G3YRO

5. M0GHX

I've got no ALC on any band, the tubes and resistors are good so I was suspecting that the grid voltage on V1 RF board was too high. What voltage should I see on 210A and 210B rectifier unit ?

6. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Your voltage is normal. Do you have the rig set up EXACTLY as shown in the owners manual for CW operation. It will show you the setting for EVERY knob. DO that and make sure the SG switch on the back is turned on.

WQ4G, K8PG and M0GHX like this.
  7. M0GHX

Thanks but I've been a Kenwood hybrid operator for many years. I recently bought this rig as faulty, I've fixed many problems and removed mods. If 210A voltage is correct, it seems that I've got a fault on the RF unit.

8. G3YRO

So if you want some help, tell us the symptoms . . .

Firstly, does it all work correctly on Receive?

When you switch to Transmit on SSB, monitoring PA Current (without any drive), do you see the correct Standing Current?

Roger G3YRO

9. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respects your question here indicated a lack of understanding of how the radio works. If you will outline the problem and symptoms we can continue from there.

10. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a link to a TS-830S high-resolution schematic that contains Receive and Transmit voltage levels throughout the TS-830
    including the final amplifier in RX and TX. As you can see the final amplifier screen voltage, pin 3, in receive is approximate +265VDC
    dropping to approximately +222VDC in transmit. The final amplifier "grid voltage", pin 5, in receive is approximately minus 101VDC
    dropping to approximately minus 62VDC. I don't see where you have measured those voltages.

https://w5rkl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TS-830S-excellent-schematic.pdf

I don't see where you have measured the Rectifier Unit board's "TUNE" terminal and -C terminal voltages.

You also have not stated whether you see 60ma in USB or LSB modes transmit with no RF drive.

Seeing AC210 on the anode side and +255VDC on the cathode side of D5 are normal.

Setting the rear panel "SG" switch to "OFF", by accident or on purpose will have no control over the level of ALC meter indication
    seen in TUNE/CW Mode transmit. The SG switch simply determines the "polarity" of the final tube screen voltage. In the OFF
    position, relay RL1 on the Rectifier Unit board is turned ON resulting in a "negative" DC voltage applied to the final tube screens.
    In the "ON" position RL1 on the Rectifier Unit board is turned OFF resulting in a "positive" DC voltage applied to the final tubes.
    This can easily be seen on the TS-830S schematic.

You're leaving out a lot of information that will help to determine what your actual problem is and from what limited information
    you have provided, I doubt your problem is the Rectifier Unit's 210A voltage.

Mike W5RKL

KA5IPF and WQ4G like this.