TS 830S Driver Tube

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by SA4MDN, May 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a few great TS-830 sites to look at, but Im running off the cell phone right now.

I use 4 TS-830's; 3 for VHF to microwave transverters and the other at the amp repair bench where nothing hurts it and I use OTA as the final tests.

Carl

AF7XT likes this.
  2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently picked up a Gold Label -S model and enough spare parts to turn an -S into an -M. Also picked up a -530SP, a VFO-230 and 2x SP-230s.

A side-by-side comparo of TS-830S vs FT-102 and TS-530SP vs FT-90x is in order, I believe. Another -830S may be sourced and converted to TRX AM, though it's going to be hard to beat the Yaesus when using that mode.

AF7XT and KM1H like this.
  3. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

Good for you.

I have one VFO-230 and two DFC-230's

Ive heard that the 830S cant be completely converted to the M version but I have plenty of vintage tube gear to choose from for AM for 160 to 2M and operate that mode often.

Mine also have cascaded CW and SSB filters and several published mods to improve the RX section.

Also have a TS-940 and TS-950SD for the HF stations.

Carl

4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago I owned an '830S - an early production run. I wasn't impressed with the thing.

This one impresses me. It'll be fun working 10-12M with the rig and running it in conjunction with an R-820 as a secondary receiver. Elsewhere around the B-A forum I described a custom interface cable which allows my R-820s to be used in a "twins" configuration with an FT-90x. A simple inline adapter will allow them to interface with the x30 rigs, albeit in separate mode. (The Kenwood can also be used as a remote VFO for the Yaesu if desired.)

5. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

They had serious blowby around the IF filters and a number of changes were made to the RX if I remember...its been years since I went thru them but its all on line.
    There is no phase noise to speak of and no other artifacts common with modern gear. I added a 10:1 reduction drive for a nice slow tuning rate on the one used mostly on 6M; working thru huge EU and other DX pileups on CW is an absolute pleasure. The TS-940 was useable but the 830 blew it away on RX. OTOH the 940 was used to win or place in many DX and WPX contests on CW and SSB and its crud generating level was buried in HF band noise, going to PIN diodes in the RX bandswitching filters helped a lot.

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually prefer the TS930S to the '940 . . . although I've done quite a few mods to improve it.

I also have 250Hz filters fitted in the 8.8 MHz and 455 kHz I.F.s

Roger G3YRO

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've owned the '940 and used the '930 quite a bit. The only drawback is the requirement to run the rig on AC power, but we can say that for most hybrids as well.

Currently, a slew of FT-980s here await some reliability and usability mods. Chief among these is adding extra cooling to the PSU section and providing an IF Out that'll let me use a YO-901 in Panadapter mode. Another thing will be to re-design the ALC circuit so the rig's output power doesn't go into "runaway" when the Carrier control is advanced to a certain point. (All four of mine exhibit this symptom, so I doubt it's merely an adjustment issue.)

As heavy as it is, the '980 definitely qualifies for Boat Anchor status. And as Carl mentions,

The '980 took a hit in a QST review for a noisy synthesizer - but honestly, I simply haven't experienced a condition where this surfaces. Perhaps when my 10M cohort John (about 3 blocks to my north) fires up on our local net frequency some night I'll do some close-in weak signal testing, as he can easily pin the S-meter.

For those times when one must be a Signal Purist, I'll simply switch the hybrids in. :cool:

8. AD4U

AD4U Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a mint Kenwood TS-830S with cascaded INRAD SSB and CW filters in the first and second IF's. My 830S also has several mods. IMO and in "real world on the air operating" no HAM transceiver will out-perform it. I am sure others with $10,000 rigs will disagree. Opinions?

Dick AD4U

N8AFT and KM1H like this.
  9. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine will also have cascaded Inrad filters when I finish swapping the OEMs. It'll be interesting to run the loaded FT-102 next to it and see how they compare. There are features on the Yaesu that I wish the Kenwood had, and vice versa.

10. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

How on earth is that a drawback?!

I suppose it would be if you wanted to use it Mobile, but it's hardly a Mobile rig!

And the advantage is that the PAs run on 29V, so they're much cleaner than most rigs with Transistor PAs that run on 12V.

Roger G3YRO