ad: elecraft

TS-830s Dip in the "wrong" position

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K8KM, Jul 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8KM

K8KM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure the answer to my question is out there on the internet somewhere, but I can't seem to hit on the right search words.

On one of my two TS-830s, when I tune the plate capacitor needs to be well out of the band indicators on the panel in the counterclockwise direction. For example, when I tune up on 20 (into a dummy load), the dip occurs near the 7 MHz indicator, and so on. Power out is 80-90 watts - not great but not my main concern right now, unless that is a useful symptom.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? Thanks,

Ron K8KM

2. K8KM

K8KM Ham Member QRZ Page

[edit] - I don't *think* it is as simple as the knob being out of place. The displacement gets larger as the frequency gets lower, and I cannot find much of a dip at all on 160.

3. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My last tube transmitter I worked on many decades ago was an AN/WRT-2. I'm not sure tuning into a dummy load of the correct impedance tells you anything other than the two radios have slightly different responses to the same load. Try something like a incandescent light (60W) as a quick substitute. If the radios load into your antenna without issues, then I am thinking you are good to go. One thing I give consideration to when troubleshooting, is my test method valid and going to give me a meaningful result.

Good Luck!
    73, Mike

K8KM likes this.
  4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well first thing to check is that when the Plate capacitor is fully meshed, is the pointer at 9 o'clock.

Roger G3YRO

KN4PUY, N4FZ, K8KM and 1 other person like this.
  5. K1APJ

K1APJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When you tune it for a dip, is the output at the correct frequency as indicated by the bandswitch?

N4FZ and K8KM like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The 830 is known for the bandswitch wafers getting out of alignment due to a faulty coupler, Google will show several ways to fix.

BTW I have 4 of them.

Carl

KN4PUY, N4FZ, K8KM and 1 other person like this.
  7. K8KM

K8KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Mike KE5MC: I don't think I have any incandescent bulbs(!). I also don't have an antenna. If I was planning to simply use it, yeah I could live with it. Power output is also down compared to what it was 4-5 months ago when I first fired this rig back up (~70-80w now). Plenty of ALC/drive. My current testing is in prep for putting my two TS-830s up for sale. And I don't want to sell the other one until I'm sure I won't need its receiver for neutralizing new finals in this one.

Roger G3YRO: Will check that the next time I take the covers off.

K1APJ: Interesting question. The VFO display matches the bandswitch setting, but can I use the other 830 to see where RF is actually being generated.

Carl KM1H: Something I will check into also - presumably related to where the signal is actually being generated.

(I would normally check all those things before posting back, but work got suddenly busy and I want to thank you all for the suggestions)

8. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Also check the PA band switch padding capacitors for the lower (40M and under) bands. If one goes faulty it'll cause this sort of problem.

9. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K8KM,
    Likely I should have held off commenting as my tube experience is so far in the past and 100W solid state transceivers, my most current experience, are very much a different 'animal'. Others have posted better comments. Hoping you get it worked out.
    73, Mike

10. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you checked PA neutralization?

KP4SX likes this.