TS-590SG with MFJ-929 Power Issue

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI5RDR, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KI5RDR

KI5RDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Evening,
    I am a fairly new HF ham and I am wondering about something. When I key up on CW or AM the power meter on the radio and the MFJ tuner/meter will show the correct amount of power that I have dialed in. When I switch to SSB, the meter will only read on 100 watts 3.2W Forward and 0.0 reflected. Antenna is a Chameleon EMCOMM II. I am stumped. Cam anyone add any insight? Many thanks.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to fully modulate for the meter to read "anything" above zero.

On SSB, are you trying to measure ouput power while fully modulating the rig?

3. KI5RDR

Yes. When I call out on the rig, I am getting a max of 7-9 forward power on the 929.

4. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have the 929 reading peak or average power?

5. KI5RDR

Hmm not sure where that setting would be. I do not see it in the manual. Plus, on CW the power reading matches the output on the receiver and the meter.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That doesn't mean anything other than to confirm the rig works.

What is the ALC indication on the 590SG when you speak into the microphone (while transmitting, obviously)?

7. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Peak hold is in the menu. Keep pressing the menu button until "peak hold" appears. Press again to go back to average reading.

But answer WB2WIK first.

8. KI5RDR

60's to mid 90's depending on my voice level.

9. KI4MYD

KI4MYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Normal for those MFJ non-active peak hold meters. My MFJ 962D only shows around 50-150w out on SSB even when running QRO at around 500W. You'll need a different meter if you're wanting to truly monitor PEP during SSB transmissions. Otherwise just give a 2-3 second whistle into your mic. If the meter shows full power during the whistle everything's functioning normally.

10. KI5RDR

Ok thanks. That makes sense. Appreciate everyone's help! Love the hobby and the forums on here!

KI4MYD likes this.