ad: hrd-2

TS-590SG Fan Threshold Modification?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK5JY, Feb 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Several months ago, I saw a comment from someone who had done a fan threshold modification to their 590SG, that lowed the temperature at which the fan turned on. If I remember correctly, the modification involved a resistor either across or in series with the existing sensor.

I run a lot of high-duty cycle modes, and I am curious about what is involved in such a mod.

I have been searching the web for such a modification, but I haven't found anything close. Have any of you done this, or do you know where it has been written up?

2. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What mode and how much power do you run ?

Is the sensor PTC or NTC ?

4. WA6SW

On a certain production run, the fans were installed backwards. This is the first thing to check. Let me know if you need the documentation to be sure they are in the correct position.

5. WA6SW

Why bother.

6. KK5JY

All kinds. RTTY, Olivia, PSK, etc.
    I have no idea... that's why I was seeking the wisdom of the group, hoping somebody else had already done that change. :)
    Yeah, mine was one of those. They are at least pointed in the correct direction now. :cool:
    The data from Kenwood shows the fan coming on at a fairly high temperature... I guess some people are fussy about fan noise. I would rather extend the life of the MOSFETS, especially since I know I'm planning to use high duty cycle modes.

KD2ACO likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

Near as I can tell, The CPU controls the Fan. This seems to be a firmware setting.

If you do not know if the sensor is PTC or NTC you should not mod the sensing circuit.

If you adjust a service menu, Make sure you know 100% what you are doing.

Have Fun. You never did answer the question of how much power you run on RTTY ?

8. KK5JY

100W. Knob turned to the right.

Do you have any details on that? Perhaps a manual section number?

9. KA9JLM

No. Not if you are running that radio at 100 watts on RTTY.

You need to ask Clif, The Kenwood Man. (Not to be confused with Cliff the Kenmore man.)

10. WA6SW

I posted several helpful hints and never heard back from the OP. That's what the "Why Bother" post was regarding.