TS 590SG ACC2 RTTY SCHEMATIC

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by EA7KHB, Sep 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. EA7KHB

EA7KHB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey all, im working on my shack preparing the next CQ WW RTTY and im wondering if anyone would help me.

I've done some contests using AFSK, but the main issue that im finding here is that im unable to match the cluster with my VFO, so im thinking about FSK.

I've the 16 pin ACC2 connector, so the idea is connect the ACC2 through serial port, but i dont know what i need...

2. AA3EE

AA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

FSK uses a contact closure to change between mark and space, so you need either an interface that supports that function (like a TNC etc), or software that can key a signal line on the serial port which will drive a switch or relay, just like keying CW from a computer.

FSK won't change the VFO reading, the stations on the other end will not be able to tell AFSK vs FSK, so perhaps you have something else wrong.

Dave

3. EA7KHB

Hey Dave,

I dont have any problem with other stations, the only problem is since AFSK uses USB or LSB, there is an offset from FSK, so frecuencies listed in the cluster doesnt match with my VFO, making working multipliers too difficult

4. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

The May 2013 issue of QST contained an article from WB3LHD on how to build an AFSK-to-FSK convertor. For some reason, the article is no longer available for download. Several commercial products from West Mountain Radio include the capability of AFSK-to-FSK conversion.

There are several good reasons for using FSK in a RTTY contest such as having the correct MARK frequency and the additional receive filtering.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    N5AF and KB0MNM like this.
  5. AC9KW

AC9KW Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The May 2013 QST is now available for download via the new PageSuite App. The ARRL switched to this service in 2012, and stopped uploading articles to the old ARRL Periodicals Archive and Search.

ARRL Members can open up the latest digital QST and use the menu bar in the upper right hand corner to access the archive of QSTs from 2012 to present. You can browser entire QSTs, cover to cover.
    A full text search is also available for either the issue, a date range, or the entire archive. The most requested feature missing from the old archive, which is a database of scanned pages merged with an index.

In 2020 three more publications were added to the PageSuite App. QEX, an experimenter's exchange. NCJ, the National Contest Journal.
    On the Air, a publication for new hams and older hams who want to get back into ham radio. Or any ham who wants a refresh on the basics.
    No extra charge for digital downloads. Members can choose On the Air instead of QST.
    The NCJ and QEX are still available as subscriptions for those who prefer paper magazines.

Zak W1VT

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    AA1EZ likes this.
  7. EA7KHB

8. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using the TS-590SG in FSK mode with a Rigblaster Advantage. It works quite well and while it adds a few cables, using the external interface makes switching between the various digital modes and software very easy. Gives you better control over audio levels and allows you to do true FSK & CW keying from the computer. I used to run a single USB cable and the built-in audio on the 590, but having done both, I prefer the external interface (Rigblaster). I like having the knobs on the desktop instead of flipping through Windows to adjust audio input levels. The Rigblaster also comes with port splitting software that has been quite useful.

If you don't want to spend the money for an external interface and are handy with a soldering iron, you can home brew an interface if you have the parts on hand.

Here's an older QRZ thread about the 590 and FSK. Lots of good links within the posts. https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/fsk-keying-with-kenwood-ts-590sg.671756/

Something important to remember with the 590SG in FSK mode - key-down polarity setting.

FSK settings on the SG are under Menu 50/51/52.

50: FSK Shift 170/ 200/ 425/ 850 [Hz] (170) default
    51: FSK Keying Polarity / REVERSED FSK KEY_DOWN POLARITY ON/OFF (Off) default
    52: FSK Tone Frequency 1275/ 2125 [Hz] (2125) default

Menu 51 setting needed to be changed to ON if you are using true FSK on the 590. The Kenwood default is "backwards" . (Much thanks to ND4G for that very helpful tip!) ;)

9. EA7KHB

Thank you Andrew, that is very useful info. Since i dont have enough time to buy an optically isolated interface, i'd say that my best option will be the classic transistor circuit like this:
    [​IMG]

For the ptt circuit i will use CAT, like i do in CW, with the same method.

Do you think i will have problems? CW circuit works fine though