TS-590s SDR help (Cable pinouts)

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by AA3BH, Feb 15, 2020 at 2:28 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA3BH

AA3BH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am in the process of setting up and SDR RSP1A with my TS-590s. I am going to use a MFJ 1708B TX/RX antenna switch since I do not feel comfortable on tapping the "CN101" header on the PC board and running a pigtail out the back of the radio.

As part of the MFJ switch, it calls for an optional cable that runs from the back of the TS-590s "remote" socket to the "Control" on the MFJ. Which, as I have read is kind of a fail safe backup in case the RF sensing does not effectively work.

Can someone please tell me what pins to use and what to solder to what. In looking at the pin-out diagram in the 590 manual, it uses a 7 Pin DIN plug to an RCA jack. Which were supplied when I purchased the radio.

Thanks in advance,

AA3BH

2. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Below is a link that explains in great detail the operation of the remote connector on several models of Kenwood transceivers (590S, 590SG & 990). It's geared toward amplifier connections and configuration, but should assist you with the pin out connections and their respective functions.

https://rin3.blogspot.com/2014/12/how-to-key-your-amplifiers-with-ts-590g.html

Hope this helps.

3. AA3BH

Thanks for the info! That helps a lot. It would appear what I am trying to accomplish is with pins "2", "4", and perhaps "7". I will have to solder one up and do some test in that configuration.

Thanks again.

4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

For what it's worth, I've been using the TS-590/RSP1A/MFJ-1708B set-up for more than a year without the optional keying cable, and have never experienced any problems with the RF sensing.

I made up a control cable (pins 2 and 4) but have never bothered with it.

If you DO use the cable, take note of the proper 1708B internal jumper settings noted in the Instruction Manual.

;)

5. AA3BH

Thanks again for the great information. I must say, there is a steap learning cure on setting up this RSP1A. I've been watching videos and reading all I can.

Another dilemma I've encountered is getting my TS-590s to communicate with SDRuno and vice versa for CAT control. My TS-590s is set to "com 3" and works just fine with the Kenwood supplied software (ARCP-590).

I've installed Omnirig and set it up per the instructions. I have also went into the SDRuno settings and checked the boxes for Omnirig there but, the rig and SDRuno will not communicate.

6. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure what you mean by "checked the boxes for Omnirig" in SDRuno.

In my case, the key to getting the '590 and SDRuno to "synch" was to click on the RSYN1 "button" in the SDRuno RX Control window so that it's "on" (amber) ... and to "unlock" the Local Oscillator (LO) button in the SDRuno "main" window.

7. AA3BH

That did the trick! Thanks for the guidance.

The other settings I was referring to, are in the "RX Control" under settings, the "ORIG" tab. I checked all those boxes.

Thanks to all! My learning curve is getting smaller.