ad: chuckmartin

TS-590S & Begali Keyer

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AC6ZM, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AC6ZM

AC6ZM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not been able to get my CW keyer to work correctly with this rig. I have a Begali Stradivarius two paddle (sqeeze) keyer. I connect a 1/8 inch stereo plug to the (Stradivarius) Begali key and insert the other end of the cable into the "paddleinput" 1/4 stereo plug of the rig. Only one side of the Begali key paddle works. Can someone tell me what in the world I'm doing wrong?

The following are the menu settings of the TS-590S menu options:

Menu 39: Reversed dot and dash keying = off
    Menu 38: Bug Key function = off
    Menu: 37: Reversed CW weighting = off
    Menu: CW Weighting = Auto
    Menu 35: CW Rise time = 2
    Menu 32: Electronic keyer = Mode: A

Please contact me directly via email
    ac6zm@arrl.net

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you checked the paddle by putting a multimeter in continuity mode across the contacts on the phone plug? The problem might be an open connection in the cable, or contamination on the paddle contacts keeping them open.

If that checks out, check the voltage tip to shield and ring to shield on the paddle end of the cable when it's plugged in to the radio and unplugged from the paddle. Not sure what the voltage should be on that radio, but both sides should be equal, and probably in the neighborhood of 3 to 12 VDC, with 5V being my guess.

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TS-590S Instruction Manual (92 pages, PDF)
    Electronic Keyer : Pages 33 - 35
    http://manual.kenwood.com/files/4f46bfdf6b75c.pdf
    MENU Setup - CW Summary : Page 17

DOUBLE CHECK CABLING (Continuity Short/Broken Wire, Improperly Wired).
    Are you usng Adapters? 1/4" (6.25mm) to 1/8" (3.5mm)
    IF it is a 2-conductor (MONO) adapter -- THAT is Your Issue.
    You require a 3-Conductor (Stereo) Adapter.

VOM/DVM can perform this basic test -- Should be in you "Basic Tool Kit".
    Pocket DVM's are DIRT CHEAP (Often Given away)
    IMG_4379.JPG
    SLEEVE : Ground / Shield Wire
    RING : DASH Paddle Contact
    TIP : DOT Paddle Contact

Paddle wiring is personal preference, but there a Two Schools of Thought.
    1.) Vibroplex Bug-like: DASH -- Right Paddle. DOT -- Left Paddle.
    2.) Thumb / Index Finger preference (Right Hand) -- DASH -- Left Paddle. DOT -- Right Paddle.

IF you Write and Send, at the same time, then "Handiness" becomes important consideration.
    ==
    For CW operation while using the internal electronic keyer,
    connect a keyer paddle (Begali) to the PADDLE jack.

The TS-590S HF transceiver has a built-in electronic keyer that can be used by connecting a keyer paddle to the transceiver’s rear panel.

Refer to “Keys for CW (PADDLE and KEY)” {page 2} for details regarding this connection.
    The built-in keyer supports lambic (squeeze) operation.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Similarly, a set of paddles can be wired for us "Lefties," (those of us in our RIGHT mind.) I'm training myself (as a semi ambidextrous [not ambiguous!] individual) to send with either hand.
    Curiously, although mostly a "southpaw," I do (or was forced to) write with my demanding school system's "correct" handwriting in school.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate menus and my rig is maybe the last high end rig without a TV screen for a front panel and a multi layer menu !!!
    There is probably a menu item that turns on the keyer function. I have a push button on the front panel that turns on and off my keyer .

6. K4RLC

K4RLC Ham Member QRZ Page

My problem is different: the keyer works fine when I power up the rig....after it's been sitting a while....after an hour or so, the keyer will not work. Have to pwr off the rig for about 30 minutes. Then, the keyer works again. The straight key works fine all the time...Tnx in advance for any input.

7. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Might be some component being affected by heat from being powered up for a while. This could be costly or difficult to troubleshoot and fix. If you don't want to spend big bucks to get it sorted out, look through the ads here (or elsewhere) and buy an outboard keyer to use with it. I use a WinKeyer for a CW keying interface in contests, so I just use that for manual CW keying for casual QSO's. I never have used the rig's internal keyer except to prove that it works.

8. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t have a 590, but just wondering, is that one of those rigs that have two key jacks, one for paddles and one for straight key?

9. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes - the 590 does have two separate jacks. One is a 1/4-inch, the other is 1/8-inch. Of course, I have forgotten which is which, but if you have your paddle plugged into the straight key jack, then you will have a sideways straight key.

K4RLC likes this.
  10. K4RLC

K4RLC Ham Member QRZ Page

TNx for the advice abt an external keyer...the WinKeyer looks like a good solution. 73 de K4RLC