TS-590 Transmit Power Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC1EDK, Apr 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC1EDK

KC1EDK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been having a few issues with my antenna and jt65 software.
    First off, I made a bone head move and installed my lightning protection in reverse, I found my error when I installed my RG-213 cable.
    I also changed my software from the JT65 HF to different one that is currently supported.

I noticed today, after I was able to get the radio transmitting and I made a few QSO,s, that the powers is set at 15 watts , but the meter on the left reads about 5 watts.

My MFJ automatic antenna tuner is showing around 5 watts with an SWR of 1 and REF of 0.
    I hooked up my Watt/SWR meter and that reads about 5 watts with an SWR of around 5.

What am I missing? Is it a setting in the 590?

I also pulled the Lightning protection out of the antenna line and it made no difference.

2. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you were using a dummy load I bet your readings would be closer to 15 watts.

3. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have an SWR of 5 to 1, that is folding the radio power back as protection to the radio.
    The radio has it's own SWR detector built in to do this.
    Good luck

4. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the new software is generating a lower audio level? Switch the meter on the TS590 to ALC mode. Set the audio level in the software that there is an ALC indication and then reduce audio just to the point ALC indication is zero. That should give nearly the output power you've set with the power knob with lowest distortion.

I read you get an SWR of 1 with the MFJ tuner, so power fold back due to high SWR should not be a problem, but a test with a dummy load makes sense anyway.

K9ASE likes this.
  5. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you install lightning protection in reverse ? Did you ground the coax center conductor ?

KO2LA likes this.
  6. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This may seem to be counter-intuitive but you need to set the TS-590 power to the 100 watt level.
    Now, using the audio input from the computer, place the TS-590 into transmit. Adjust the audio level from the computer to obtain the desired power in watts.
    Make sure you're not into the ALC limiting areas by noting the ALC meter reading. It should be zero.

Hope this helps
    Gary

KI5WW likes this.
  7. KC1EDK

The protector is marked "Radio" on one end and "Antenna" on the other is just hooked them up in reverse.
    I a not sure it is an issue or not.

8. KC1EDK

I got it working, it was low volume from the computer.
    A hint I got was to crank the radio up to 100 watts and then increase the computer volume until I saw the correct power output.
    I did that and also watched the ALC, once I saw activity I went down 1% on the volume.
    I got the powers where it should be, with no ALC activity.

I made several contacts last night, 1 in Australia, 1 in Cuba and a few states.

KI5WW and KC9VFO like this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. You should only be worried if it is sucking power out of the ground! :)

10. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sucking lightning out of the ground is what would worry me.