TS-590 CAT and fldigi w/USB?

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by K7GQ, Apr 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm having a bit of a problem wording my question to make sense ...

Is anyone using a TS-590 with a logging program, along with any digi software such as fldigi, together on a USB port in a MacOS environment? Windows emulation is not desired.

In my situation, I use Aetherlog along with (either) cocoaModem or fldigi. However, my current rigs have RS-232C interfaces rather than USB, while the '590 has a USB port.

73 & Aloha

Harry @ KH6CW

2. EA3HOE

EA3HOE Ham Member QRZ Page

That's indeed not a very well worded question. What exactly is the problem? TS-590 has a RS-232C and a USB interface, so plenty of way to hook up your software to the rig.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I presume your question regards the proverbial having your cake and eating it too: having both Fldigi and Aether talking to the 590 over the USB cable. However, you can't have BOTH Aether and Fldigi access the port at the same time; it is one or the other. That's the way it works in OS X/macOS.

Now, MacLoggerDX can feed frequency data to Fldigi via UDP and Fldigi can trigger PTT through MLDX using AppleScripts. RUMlogNG does something similar as well, with it pushing freq data to Fldigi and receiving PTT info from Fldigi via XML-RPC. I'm don't believe that Aether supports either of these types of setup, however.

I haven't tried it myself, but the 590SG can supposedly support both the USB connection AND a RS-232 connection at the same time. You could setup Fldigi on the USB connection and Aether on the RS232.

4. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, I would like to have cake and eat it as well. I have seen that there is no exclusive "lock" put on a USB port having an audio device demonstrated by the fact that I can run both cocoaModem and fldigi simultaneously - both copying the same signal. If a "lock" isn't put up for that, would a "lock" be put up for CAT signals instead of a "share" flag?

And don't the PC folks get to use their USB-equipped rigs with some software handling CAT functions while other software handles digital functions?

5. EA3HOE

EA3HOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, the TS-590 can support connections over USB and RS-232 simultaneously. I run RumlogNG and FLdigi on the USB interface and CubicSDR on the RS-232 interface. A bit quirky, but works fine.

K3DCW likes this.
  6. K3DCW

PCs can use software called Port Splitters to share multiple CAT programs over a single connection. That doesn't work in OS X/macOS. It isn't a matter of availability, it is a matter of architecture. macOS simply won't support it. When I first came to OS X, that was one of the windmills I tilted at; it just won't work.

And, yes, they can share audio devices, but those are audio devices and are implemented differently in macOS and allow full sharing.

7. K3DCW

RUMlogNG and Fldigi, or MLDX and Fldigi, are winning combinations. They implement the interface/controls a bit differently, but the end effect is the same.

I use MLDX+Fldigi+WSJT-X+JT-Bridge all simultaneously with my Flex 6500 with no issues.

I use RUMlogNG+Fldigi+WSJT-X+JT-Bridge all simultaneously with my TS-590SG with no issues.

Both combinations are outstanding!

8. AA5VU

AA5VU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Harry,

This is Dick AA5VU from years ago. Good to see you are well and enjoying the hobby. I use a TS-590SG with fldigi and have an Apple Script that logs the QSO from fldigi to Aether. Let me know if you are interested in the Apple Script.

73 Dick AA5VU
    Austin, TX