ad: expert-3

TS-570D settings for digital modes

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WM5TS, Apr 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone have some recommended settings for the Kenwood TS-570D for digital modes? On some programs the last part of the message is garbled and just random characters.
    73;

2. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you can elaborate a bit about your setup and the particular software in question?

Flidigi and WSJT-X, while both are digital mode software, have their own unique requirements.

A quick Google search for "TS-570 digital mode setup" turned up a page or two of links.

3. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

His profile: ( https://www.qrz.com/db/WM5TS ) shows fldigi and FT-8. Yet it also shows a hardware interface which may not be fully optimized for connection to his rig. "Garbage characters" are sometimes the result of choosing a mode other than what is being transmitted, or at the wrong rate. Yet because HF can include amplitude spikes ( when in AM and SSB modes )- filtering of the received audio can also be part of the issue. If the rig is tuned for 'best voice', it may also be tuned for 'worst data'. Turning off certain noise-blanking features may clear things up.

WM5TS likes this.
  4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Please see the file from the Signal Link site ( attached ). As I understand it, some of the early Kenwood rigs 'reversed' the signalling, yet any data received that is correct would negate a reason to consider polarity as a problem. As the other Op requested- which programs? Some may not be running enough 'buffer', which could point to the USB interface and PC.

Attached Files:

WM5TS likes this.
  5. AH6SU

AH6SU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only setting I change on my TS-570D for digital operations (PSK31 with Digipan) is changing menu #32, Digital Operation Filters, to "PSK" in SSB mode (I think the default is "OFF"). I'm assuming your setup is good if you see valid messages at the start. Seeing random characters is normal when not actually decoding incoming signals (like when a sender is actually typing the message and pauses for a few seconds to think about what to type next), it's usually just the software trying to decode noise. You can play with squelch settings in the software and the RX knob on Signalink to minimize the random characters.