TS 530SP

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K5JDX, Oct 22, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5JDX

K5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hoping for some good troubleshooting ideas on this! The radio has intermittent issues during tune up on 10 meters and sometimes 12, 15 and 17 meters. Usually 17 and down are fine. When in TUNE no ALC meter with the DRIVE. No IP with PLate and no RF with load, when using the send switch. It will give me HF on all three adjustments and in CW. When it is doing this no power out on 10 meters in SSB using PTT.
    It comes and goes, if I back down to either 17 or 20 and get it to work on tuning it up there then it will work through most others and even sometimes 10 meters. doesn’t seem to matter how long or short time the radio has been on with the heaters on. It appears to be tied to the three variable capacitors on the drive adjustment. It sometimes will start working if I turn them back and forth to both ends of the knob several times. If I don’t catch the meter showing movement while doing that and go through it then I have to keep turning back and forth again until it does it again.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have owned this one for a little while but never really inside of it.
    I’m capable of working on most of them as long as I can track down. I do own some good test equipment but not as much as I would like.
    Thanks again
    K5JDX

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am simply going to guess, but the issue might be the band switch, The TS 530 SP has a good reputation, don't give up on it. hth
    Rob

K5JDX likes this.
  3. WA0YDE

WA0YDE Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, make sure the HV is good-and stable. Check filter caps-common problem.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This was a bit difficult to understand.

But are you expecting to see output power, meter indications and variations with tuning adjustments when using SSB and not actually modulating the transmitter?

5. K5JDX

Will do thanks. Would that create intermittent issues? It comes and goes, not a constant issue.

6. K5JDX

No when tuning up after changing bands. Using the Tune mode. Mostly on 10 meters but has started doing it more and more on all bands down to 20 meters

7. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

(As suggested above) Dirty water switches, like the band switch, certainly would.

K5JDX likes this.
  8. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Silly autocorrect. Dirty WAFER switches, of course.

PU2OZT likes this.
  9. SP4IT

SP4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

I second the idea of this being the band switch. I would clean it.

Also. This is just a thought, but did you try cleaning those 3 variable capacitors linked to the drive adjustment?

I had a (widely known) problem with my vfo tuning having dead spots. The VFO uses a large variable air capacitor. I disassembled it completely and cleaned it with IPA. This solved the problem.

K5JDX likes this.
  10. K5JDX

Cleaned all the wafer switches on the band selector and made it worse somehow. Now it will only tune up on 20, 80 and 160 meters. Just not sure what is going on.