TS-530s can't peak load control

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KD5NDQ, Apr 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no real recommendations for a meter, and personally use expensive stuff that isn't really necessary. MFJ-Daiwa-Yaesu et al. sell lots of cheaper stuff that should be good enough.

If there is no change in meter reading when adjusting RF sensitivity when you're transmitting, that is a problem -- there should be. I don't have a Kenwood hybrid today, but owned several of them over the years and the sensitivity control always had a lot of effect on the output meter reading on all of them.

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

See the control on the rear panel, upper left corner, above the coax socket?

That adjusts the meter in the rf mode.

Don't worry about a external wattmeter right now, as long as you can adjust the plate current for a reading between 200 and 225 milliamps in cw AT THE DIP you are tuned and transmitting at full power.

Rege

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Notice I didn't say anything about a antenna, dummy load, or vswr.

Or a external "antenna tuner".

That's because the plate current meter, and the dip in current tell you everything you need to know.

Rege

4. KD5NDQ

KD5NDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I mentioned in Post #40 of this thread (just a few up from this on):
    There is no change in the meter when adjusting the RF sensitivity from full CCW to full CW.

Right, as I mentioned previously, I can't get it to go 200-225 mA in CW. In fact it doesn't move at all with any increase in LOAD.

5. WB2WIK

Is the CARrier control turned up all the way clockwise?

Can you see a "peak" in the Ip when you adjust the DRIVE control through its range?

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe we should start over.

Are both output tubes lite up the same brightness ?

It sounds like maybe only 1 tube is working.

Be careful playing with electricity.

You should dip before you load.

7. KD5NDQ

Very dim on one, difficult to tell on other if it is lighting up. I was told that it would be difficult to see these in normal daylight?

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't you have a light switch ?

Wait till it gets dark outside if needed.

9. KD5NDQ

One is dim the other the other is just the faintest of light.

10. WB2WIK

Could be they're just dusty.

Unplug from power, wait a few minutes, remove top cover and then the internal shield cover over the 6146 tubes and set them both aside; plug back in and turn the rig on and actually look at the tubes.

If they're dusty the heaters will look quite dim. If the tubes are very clean, they'll look brighter. They should both appear the same.

But you didn't answer three important questions:

-Is the CARrier control fully clockwise?
    -When you transmit, CW, key closed, and see plate current, can you "peak" that current by adjusting the DRIVE control?
    -Then, when it's peaked, can you "dip" that using the PLATE tuning control?