ad: M2Ant-1

ts-480sat settings for ft8

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N0SRZ, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N0SRZ

N0SRZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

in need of what settings I should set in the rig for ft8 I can receive and transmit but I believe that there is something that I am missing I have not made any contacts with the rig as of yet just want to make sure that every thing is set to avoid any problems and that it works correctly.
    thanks.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know what interface you are using. Use the SignaLink USB with the 480SAT in the USB mode, no problem. Do you have an accurate time source for your computer? This is one of my travel trailer set-ups when camping.

3. N0SRZ

I have 2 signalink usb interfaces on for my ft-857d and on for the 480sat the 857 works fine either way hrd or not just can't get the 480 to work the same.

4. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

When you receive, what do you see on the WSJT-X software? Are you getting signals in the waterfall display? Is the software decoding signals?

When you click the "tune" button on the software, what happens? Does the radio click over to transmit? If so, do you get an indication on the radio of power out?

Let's get these basics out of the way and go from there.

5. N0SRZ

I do see the signals and wsjt is decoding them and when I tell it to tune it does put the rig in to transmit and it does transmit and I have power out.
    I made a few contacts 6m and 10m are a little dead for me right now so it is a little slow .
    I just want to make sure that the rig is set up the way it needs to be to work correctly.
    with my 857d I had to set a few settings on the rig so it would work correctly like user-u and Digi gain and such but I do not see those settings on the 480sat the only 2 settings that I have set are rf input level and rf output level
    those are the only 2 settings that I can find any one talking about.
    if those are the only 2 I need to worry about then I'm good again just want to make sure.
    thanks

6. KA2IRQ

You would just have to set the audio levels with your SignaLink interface. Your receive level should be between 25-30 dB. You can see this on the lower left of the WSJT software- the arrow that jumps up and down- should be green and should, as I said, be between 25-30 (this accounts for the -24dB signal handling of the software). When you hit Tune in the software, adjust your SignaLink and transmitter microphone gain so that you have proper output per your radio. (every radio will be slightly different).

7. N0SRZ

ok I got it working after trying every thing and then some I got it working better not sure what I did to get there but it is working.
    then I lost my receive decode that turned out to be my internet time .
    thanks for all the help and info hope you all have a great day and good luck on the bands.
    73!
    cliff
    n0srz

8. KA2IRQ

Great! Glad you got it working. Yes, time is everything... there are various programs you can load to make sure your time is constantly accurate- make sure one of them is installed and working and you'll never have to think about it again.