ad: w5yi

TS-2000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K5AR, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

:eek: I have always owned a Kenwood, but the TS-2000 is the ugliest looking radio ever made. And looks count when it comes to ham rigs. It's pot bellied not square like a radio should be.

2. NT9M

NT9M Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you mentioned if your 746 was a pro or non pro. Either way, probably not enough incremental difference until you move a level higher.

The comments here don't differ much from what you will see in eHam reviews. I've owned a TS2000 for six years and will never part with it. But I would like to try an Omni VII someday. :D

As for the TNC on the 2000, I've used it for APRS in conjunction with UIView and it works fine in that mode. I've also played around with SkyCommand (it's intended purpose along with DX cluster) and even worked in CONVERSE mode on packet. What it won't do is store a lot of packet mail and data like a stand alone TNC.

When I was looking to upgrade radios, my choice came down to the same as yours: IC746 or TS2000. I chose the Kenwood because all those driver problems with the ICOM scared me away, and I don't regret the choice I made. Every now and then I still read about someone who's brand new 746Pro has failed, and it reinforces the notion that I made the right decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.