TS-2000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K5AR, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K5AR

K5AR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been debating on a new rig.  I have heard several wonderful things and many bad reports about the Kenwood TS-2000.  Maybe some current owners of this radio would give some thoughts of how well it works or does not work for their needs.  I do use the IC-746 for now, it seems to be very good and dependable .  To sum it up here, I wanted to know the difference in the HF portion of the TS-2000 compared to the 746.  Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated....

Brad/NV5H

2. KC2PCF

KC2PCF Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Boy, tough call at this point....
    How old is the TS-2000 [​IMG] Seven years old now??
    The current Kenwood line is pretty dated. At this point I'd wait a litle longer in the hope of a TS-2007 or TS-2008.
    Looking more like a TS-2008.  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

Bill

3. W4MAJ

W4MAJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Brad,

I own a TS-2000 and the only negatives I have could easily be applied to any and all new equipment. There are w-a-y too many buttons and w-a-y too many menu options. Unless you are really gifted, you'll need to spend the best part of the day with the owners manual before you get on the air. But once you're comfortable, I think you'll like the radio. I do.

William

4. WA5KRP

WA5KRP Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had my TS2K since 2002 and love it. 160M - 70cm under one hood is very cool -1.2GHz is an option. Never had a problem. Get the digital voice recorder for contesting - I didn't. Big mistake.

WA5KRP
    Texas

5. w3scm

w3scm QRZ Member QRZ Page

I like mine.  Good value for what it costs.  No problems to report at all.  Lots of complements on the transmit audio.  Really likes the PRO40 mike, but sounds fine with the stock.  Noise reduction does a heck of a job once you understand how to use it.  Recommended.

6. N4KC

N4KC Ham Member QRZ Page

Brad, asking a bunch of hams for an opinion on which rig to buy is dangerous! Most of us tend to think whatever we have is the best thing ever. Or for purely trivial reasons, we give a thumbs-down on an otherwise fine radio.

Truth is, from what I hear, the 746 is a fine piece of gear. I know firsthand that the TS2K is great...for what it is designed to be: a good, versatile rig that gives the op the ability to use it on all ham bands from 160 meters to 1.2 gHz. I can't directly compare it to other rigs, but I seem to be able to hear anything anyone else can hear, and rarely have a SSB QSO without positive comments on the audio. Mine's two years old and I've had no problems. The users on the Yahoo TS-2000 reflector seem to have had the same experience. There are a few who have had problems, as you will have with any radio, but so many of the so-called problems come from user error or trying to make the gear do what it was never intended to do.

Probably no help in your decision, but I think you would really enjoy the TS2K...and especially for the money.

Don N4KC
    www.n4kc.com

7. KG4YUS

KG4YUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Had one, sold it about 6 months later. Couldnt justify the desk spaced used up by the rig. (plus the $$$$ I sold it for came in real handy at the time.)
    Was a good rig, second VFO continually blew the power lead in fuse, rx was abit shy on vhf/uhf as compared to the IC 706MIIG I ran at the same time.
    I liked having the tnc built in. I was a little ticked to find the UHF connector on the back was a "n" being none of the coax I have carries that connector.

All in all a good radio, you can go with other brands and do the same if not better without all the bells and whistles the ts-2000 carries. For several hundred dollars cheaper. Alot off doo-dads that most operators will never use

Sorry cannot compare the ts-2000 to the ic 746, never run the icom.

8. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I have owned the TS2000 for several years now and am very satisfied with it. Of course a rig that covers these many bands will have pro's and con's but overall I'm very satisfied. As stated previously there are many buttons on the rig but you will get used to them and what they do. The menu system is fairly easy to use and if you use the radio control software it is easier to set things up. I also like that there is a built in TNC and 100 watt output on 2 meters. I'm not aware of any other rigs of this type that have the extra power on 2 meters. I use pretty much only 25 watts on repeaters and APRS but I open it up on 2 meter SSB.

Nice rig overall.

9. K3UD

K3UD Guest

When I was in the market for a new radio I looked at everything available for under $2,000. In the end it came down to the Ten Tec Jupiter, The Kenwood TS-480, the TS-2000 and the IC-746PRO. It came down to the 746PRO and the TS-2000. I realizead that I could never warm up to the look and cosmetic design of the TS-2000 as it reminded me of a boom box that had been melted.

The TS-2000 is decent performer and has some capabilities that the 746PRO does not have. But in the end it was the look of the radio that made the choice for me and I walked out of the store with the 746PRO and have never regretted it.

George
    K3UD

10. K4GUN

K4GUN Ham Member QRZ Page

The 746 Pro give you a full 100 watts on 2 meters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.