ad: MyersEng-1

TS-2000 - PC connection issues

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC1OCA, Jan 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC1OCA

KC1OCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Folks.

Hate asking for help on this. I got started with serial ports back when there was only a 1 byte buffer for in and 1 for out and you had to poll the UART to see if it was ok to send first & and if you had any data coming in.

I have a new (for me) TS-2000 can not get it to interface with Ham Radio Deluxe or Kenwood's MCP-2000.

I am pretty sure I have the cable correct as far as being straight through. I did try a null modem adapter and have tried 3 different cables for with & without null modem adapters. 2 FTDI and 1 Prolific. The Prolific cable mentions it is made for the TS-2000 & Ham Radio Deluxe. One FTDI cable is a null modem but with a null modem adapter it becomes straight through. I also tried a different FTDI cable which was straight through.

I have tried factory resetting the radio, various speeds 9600, 57600 (with the speeds matching on the PC & radio), flow control (both xon/off & hardware as well as none), disabling the fifo buffers etc. Tried various settings in Ham Radio Deluxe for the flow control (all 8 possible settings).

The best response I can get is the radio displays PC and beeps before MCP times out HRD just fails to read the frequency.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Guaranteed cables etc.?

Posted pictures that will hopefully answer any questions in advance. 73...

HRD error.png HRD connecting.png HRD ports.png MCP2000 speed.png MCP2000.png

Attached Files:

2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can tell you what worked for me. A regular DB9 to DB9 cable of appropriate genders to a Keyspan DB9 to USB cable to my W10 totally USB computer. I've used this arrangement with my W7 computer and before that just the DB9 cable to my XP computer.

I set the speed in the 2000 menu to 57600, set the software to the same and use the 'auto detect' for the com port selection, it may take a while to find it, but once it does, it should all remain there in HRD. You might want to make a note of it. And I'm using HRD V5.

Have you tried WSJT-X?

3. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you power off and on the rig after changing the post speed at the TS-2000?

The cable has to be straight.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

4. KC1OCA

Yes, I even rebooted the desktop machine a few times. I even got an old Windows XP Acer and gave that a quick try. I hoped that or the factory reset on the TS-2000 would have done it.

The closest I can get is the radio beeps once and the PC light comes on.

Also, I am no longer able to try HRD as the trial expired so I am using MCP-2000.

5. KC1OCA

I gave WSJT-X a try. Unlike MCP-2000 & HRD the transmit data led on the cable blinks for a longer time. I just get the beep from the radio and the PC led. :-(

upload_2021-1-28_20-36-53.png

6. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you check the cable with the multimeter? it has to be straight and all 9 pins have to be connected.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you for sure that you are on the correct port number ?

Looking at this, You were trying to connect to a USB Root Hub, Not the radio using Com 6. Best to use a USB2 port if available.
    upload_2021-1-29_10-10-8.png

Some null modem cables/adapters do not have all pins connected, Because a modem does not need all of them.

Good Luck.

KC1OCA likes this.
  8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is what my 'radio' page looks like. But notice I'm using DTR as PTT, which may not be appropriate for your usage. Your com port may vary all over the place too. Try the hardware handshake.

radio.jpg

9. KC1OCA

I believe the only active com port at that time was Com port 5. I think I had it display the all ports to show that I had tried both Prolific and FTDI cables.

One thing I did try was to go into Windows Device Manager and deleted all the com ports and start over one by one in case I had old settings, old drivers etc. I have used this machine and a USB cable for my Celestron astrophotography mount and didnt want any old stuff left around that might interfere.

I think I might see if I can order a decent breakout box with leds and the ability to tie a line high to see if the rig is expecting status line or something before it sends.

I did try all combinations of the "force control lines" in HRD before the trial license expired. No luck on any. :-(

10. WA1FOK

WA1FOK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi
    I have a ts2000 and use it with hrd using a triplite keyspan usa 19hs usb ( about $30) to serial adaptor which shows up in device manager so there is no mistaking com ports. I use 9600 comport speed. this has worked fine for years. Recently i decided to change the filters in the receiver to eliminate the noise problem, (did not help) after putting the radio back together I had no comport communication. Tried and tried ( made me crazy) , took the radio apart again, no cable loose, no sign of problem around the area of the comport, finally for lack of anything better i resoldered the 9 pin connector on the board in the radio. Much to my surprise the com port now works just like it used to.
    Hope you figure it out
    Carter wa1fok