TS-2000 drivers - from 2SC1972 to RD15HVF1

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by CIPMAN, Mar 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

What did you set the bias to on the FET's?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What keeps stray RF from getting on that prototype board ?

Did you look at purity using a spectrum analyzer ?

Have Fun.

G4COE likes this.
  3. CIPMAN

CIPMAN QRZ Member

I set the quiescent current 1A each (2A total).

What's that?!:))))))
    No access to such equipment. Maybe I will find someone who has one after all this is over. For now I'm happy the ATU is doing its job as it should. Harmonics and odd RF usually leads to ATU not working properly.
    Same kind of piggyback board is used for PROII conversion and some of those were tested and found adequate.
    I might add some capacitors to ground before and after the "aerial" wires.

4. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

As per KA9JLM sticking a 'speccy' on the end would be interesting... wonder how these RD15HVF1 cope at 144Mhz 14db gain @ 175Mhz *might* prove a useful device, I don't think the original drivers would give that, I forgot their specs.

Do you still get the 2mtr drive, the HF drivers in the TS2000 are also the VHF drivers. Still got them fakes on mi' bench here....'somewhere'!

Dave

5. CIPMAN

CIPMAN QRZ Member

95W on 2m vs 110W on 20m .

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm very surprised to see that the TS-2000 has the PA Board just under the lid, rather than bolted on the back . . .

What does it do for a heatsink? (and presuably no fan)

Roger G3YRO

7. CIPMAN

CIPMAN QRZ Member

It uses the [whole] chassis. It has a fan right behind the front panel blowing from front to back of the TRX (running when needed).

8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm . . . I don't like that idea !

Heat can cause issues on all kinds of components.

I don't even like the idea of my TS-930S heatsinks on the back getting hot in the first place, so I have fans that run as soon as you turn the rig on.

Roger G3YRO

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A FB may be in order also.

10. CIPMAN

CIPMAN QRZ Member

FB?? Faraday Box?
    Another option would be to replace the pots and the entire piggyback board with fixed resistors placed in a coax braid shield - now that I know the values for this pair of FETs.