Trying to use my YAESU FT3D at work to monitor Motorola facility Radios

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by RONCHI, Apr 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/P25_CAI describes the issue if the hospital has P.25 radios. If you are referring to what Motorola uses for P.25, matching C4FM would not be sufficient; matching bandwidth to narrow is not sufficient. Some radios that Motorola made support Gaussian Minimum Shift Keying. A study of Vocoders and IMBE would answer the question as to why his Yaesu radio may not be able to 'pick up' audio from the hospital Motorola radio during a scan. Trunking may also be involved.

2. KB0MNM

10-4, good buddy.

3. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. I'm still not sure how that relates to the OP wanting to monitor his hospital's walkie talkies (using that term simply to bring to light that they are likely just analog FM radios). All around my local area, most businesses, schools, and even the county and city public safety, are on analog FM. Again, there was no 'mandate' to go to P25. Many may migrate that way and more will in the future but let's not make claims like that which are somewhat (or a lot) off topic and then jump on people for calling it into question. ;) 73!

4. KB0MNM

His area just happens to be Lake H., in northwestern Arizona- near Hoover Dam. Have you ever heard of Arizona Public Service? Or LinkedIn / Facebook? I thought that what was said was 'close enough for government work' ( VOAD ), and technically *barely* an assumption based upon information few others have access to. A winter's eve in Flagstaff would be a good time and place for explaining the rest. I expect that you would have read up on the technology by that time. Most of the public safety people maintain both old and new systems.
    States then counties then large cities then cities get federal attention. In disaster preparedness, populations and demographics matter as well. Be aware that Quartzite, Az. is also nearby. As to 'jumping' on people, calling a technical response into question with the word 'presumptuous' works so well with silence... or a private message. "walk a mile in his sandals...".

5. KD5BVX

I'm sorry, and maybe I'm just slow here, but I don't see the relevance of talking about Facebook or Linked In here when we're simply, originally, talking about a hospital's handy talkies. It seems the conversation has deviated a long ways from the original intent/question and went headfirst into irrelevant information (irrelevant to the topic, at least). Hopefully the OP has found his answer by now and it's a moot point but let's not continue to deviate from the topic at hand with random things about other topics since that's not helpful.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Back to the Scanner Subject
    [QUOTE="KD5BVX, post: 5429075 All around my local area, most businesses, schools, and even the county and city public safety, are on analog FM. A;) 73![/QUOTE]
    You are lucky there is still some standard FM to listen to there.
    Around SouthEastern MI, There is Very Little standard FM to hear now. most systems are on digi .
    I Only hear occasional small hotels off the freeway, housekeeping and maint depts on FM./ some construction crews using GMRS radios, a few small company- redi mix concrete trucks on VHF, and a few small fire departments . A few school systems bus radios are still FM.
    Most of what my scanners hear is air-band AM traffic.
    A few years ago I heard the FRS channels busy at campgrounds in summertime, and the weeks after Xmas with kids screming into the little radios ! Now parents are getting Cell-phones for their kids. !
    I have antennas on the roof for the scanners.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    KD5BVX likes this.
  7. KB0MNM

Then I suspect you have not been reading post #1. The guy has a new callsign, and wondered why he could not receive a hospital's system ( which uses Motorola radios ) on his equipment, a Yaesu Radio. The ability to directly read an APCO P.25 system ( Phase I or II ) or MotoTRBO(TM) with a Yaesu radio would call for very expensive custom modifications which would put the 'modifier' out of business- pronto. There is no 'scanner' mentioned in post 1- so those who suggest it are 'off topic'. There was also nothing said about Facebook or LinkedIn, yet some folks post the resume there. The 'presumptious' stuff is an opinion, and that is something that we all seem to have- also a gluteous maximus.

8. KD5BVX

You said in post 14 "have you heard of Linked In / Facebook?" That's what I was referring to. I do agree that it was irrelevant the thread. But this is an old thread so no point in continuing with it.

73!

9. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

RONCHI:

1. Google FCC Advanced License Search.
    2. Enter your hospital's legal name, city and state.
    3. Select "ACTIVE" and 100 entries per page.
    4. Hit enter.

It will take some research of your output and "fine tuning" of your input data but, sooner or later, you'll end up will all the frequencies the hospital is licensed to use.

Try it. It'll be a good experience in researching a data baser!

Once I found Chicago's FRN, I input the FRN and came up with a list of something like 900 frequencies assigned to the City, ranging from MF parking information frequencies to SHF microwave frequencies.

KD5BVX likes this.