ad: SDRKits-1

Trying to install WSJT-X on Mac OS

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by KB5IJ, Oct 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KB5IJ

KB5IJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everybody, I am trying to install WSJT-X on a Mac OS 10.12. Even though shmmax shows as 14680064, I still get the "Unable to create shared memory segment" error. I just installed WSJT-X on a Mac OS 10.14 two days ago using the identical process, and had no issues. Any idea what I am doing wrong, or how I can fix this?

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You say that the shmmax shows at 14680064? Is that in the file, or did you run the command line check to see what the value is as read by the system? Did you reboot after the change? Usually it is a little thing, so go back through the steps again. I'm sure you did it right since you've done it before, but oftentimes familiarity brings a bit of overconfidence and the little things can get missed.

I do seem to recall that there was an issue with writing to the file with a version of OS X in the past. I'd recommend that you email John (G4KLA) to ask him. He's probably the very best person to guide you.

KC3PBI likes this.
  3. KB5IJ

Thanks for the reply... The 14680064 came from the command line check. Reboot etc. was done exactly as the instructions indicate. I actually uninstalled everything and started the process over, in case I had somehow missed a step, and got the same result the second time. I see that there is a OS update available, so I'm thinking I will get that done and then try the whole thing again with it updated. For now I've just moved the other Mac into the ham shack, but I'm not sure how long I'll be able to get away with that since all my wife and kids' stuff is on that one.

4. KB5IJ

Update: tried once more to install WSJT-X after software update (version 10.12.6), same error message, still can't open WSJT-X. Willing to try anything to get this working.

5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Have you reached out to John (G4KLA), who is probably the best person to help you with this? His email address is in the directions included in the DMG file you downloaded.

6. KB5IJ

Thanks for the reply. I got in touch with John today, and he sent me a different file to use, that got WSJT-X up and running. NOW I'm trying to figure out what "device driver" I need to run my Icom IC-9100 with WSJT-X. I couldn't find any clear info online, everything seems to be related to PC/Windows. I have also reached out to John on this question, but BONUS POINTS to anybody that can point me in the right direction. I admit, my computer ignorance is so extreme, I don't even know what a "device driver" is haha.

7. WB0KSL

WB0KSL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For WSJT-X, I currently use my IC-7300 with an iMac running the Mojave version of the MacOS. I also have an IC-9100, which I previously used for the HF digital modes. I'm pretty sure I used a WIN 7 computer at that time. In any event, the whole "device driver" issue is primarily related to using the newer radios that allow a single USB connection between the rig and the computer for both rig control and audio i/o functions. This is what is found with the IC-7300 setup. For the IC-9100, rig control is via a serial type of interface that Icom refers to as a CI-V interface. There are several choices on the market, Icom and third party brands. The back panel of the 9100 has a CI-V socket for that cable. The audio i/o to allow WSJT-X to send and receive is normally handled by a USB external audio card device. The most common is the SignalLink USB. That is what I used with my 9100. You likely will not need any special device drivers for such a setup on your Mac. Possibly, but not likely, a driver might be needed for the SignalLink. If so, the manufacturer, Tigertronics, will have that information and any such driver and instructions on their website. Good luck. The IC-9100 is a fine radio, and you will enjoy the WSJT-X modes.

73 de wb0ksl, John

KB5IJ likes this.
  8. K3DCW

• First, you'll need to make sure that your rig is completely disconnected from the Mac. Physically remove the USB cable or else you will have install issue.

• Next, you will need the SILabs driver which you can download from here: https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/software/Mac_OSX_VCP_Driver.zips.

• Unzip the driver and run the included install package.

• Reboot the Mac when install is completed or when directed to do so.

• After the reboot, go to System Preferences, look for the Privacy and Security pane, and go to the General tab. On there, you MAY see a warning about allowing the driver to run. If so, allow it. I can't recall whether or not this was present in 10.12.

• Only now should you connect the rig to the Mac.

• Make a note of the port speed on the USB port as programmed into the 9100. You'll need this to setup your rig control in WSJT-X.

• Start WSJT-X and look to connect your rig (select from the pull-down) to the port that looks like tty.SLAB_USBtoUART or cu.SLAB_USBtoUART. You will likely have two ports, and will have to figure out which one works. Make sure your baud rates match that set in the rig, hit Test CAT. After a moment or two, it should turn green. If not, you've misconfigured something somewhere.

KB5IJ and KC3PBI like this.
  9. KB5IJ

Thanks! Got the SILabs driver installed, CAT test was good and the computer is controlling the rig now. It's decoding all sorts of FT8 signals, and I've got the settings in the radio set to what I've found online for this particular model. Now I just have to get brave enough to click the correct things to have a QSO!

K3DCW likes this.
  10. K3DCW

I'm glad you got it working!