Trying to get answers on Full duplex HT for satellite

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KE7GVK, Jun 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K9EI

K9EI Ham Member QRZ Page

I will happy to listen for you. I'm traveling right now and hope to work a few during. Y travels. Home location is at EM20, but currently at DM73. I haven't been able to work anything yet, but perhaps tonight or tomorrow. (AG5JF)

2. KE0MHJ

KE0MHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure of my schedule with work. We are now in planting season and we might work 18+ hour days on and off for the next two months. However I appreciate your offer. If you or anyone else do happen to hear me sometime just drop me a note here or on the log. Just a confirmation of actually being heard would be great even if not an actual QSO. I've been trying to get a handle on how the QSO's work and I know them in theory, but the action is fast. I heard several people on both AO-85 and SO-50 today. I have been able to demonstrate listening to these two birds to three non-licensed people just this weekend. That alone has been worth the effort.

My son (8) has been a little more interested since not every time I try it is just static...... ;)

3. KE0MHJ

Tried on AO-85. It was an eastern pass. I could hear it very early below 5°. I am learning to manually tune the 2 m side. Does it help much to tune the 70 cm side?

I heard a lot of QSO's and tried to get in on two different people. W
    One was W4FS. Pretty sure that was the call.

So still no Sat QSO. Hard to do flipping VFOs. Guess I need a $30 radio to listen on. ;)

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

For AO-85, definitely! You need to adjust the 70cm side, your transmit/uplink frequency, throughout the pass. You will need to start out on 435.160 MHz, and tune until the end of the pass when you end up on 435.180 MHz. Some will adjust the 2m receive/downlink frequency down from 145.980 MHz to 145.975 MHz near the end of a pass, but the front-ends on some radios can stay on 145.980 MHz without needing an adjustment.

If you are working SO-50, you can leave the uplink frequency alone - 145.850 MHz, with 67.0 Hz PL. You'll need to adjust the downlink side, down from 436.800 or 436.805 MHz down to 436.785 MHz near the end of the pass.

That's a simple and inexpensive way to go for full-duplex operation. Depending on the radio you currently use, the $30 radio (Baofeng or equivalent type) could be a good uplink radio, and your current radio might work better for the downlink side.

Good luck, and 73!

5. KE0MHJ

Oh I need to do some more reading. I forgot about the tone on SO-50. I haven't been using one on the non-duplex mode. Just dialing a frequency. My programmed channels had that built in, but I haven't been running the radio that way because I couldn't hear the downlinks.

My current radio is a FP-8HP. So a UVR-5 or whatever might work for the listen.

6. KE0MHJ

I can't seem to find the edit button. The radio is a Baofeng BF-F8HP. A UV-5R should receive fine for a little less money. I have been hearing pretty decent on the downlinks.

7. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have the programming cable for those radios? The same cable should work for both radios. Then you can use software like CHIRP to do the programming, if the front-panel stuff isn't working.

8. KE0MHJ

Yes I have a cable and program with CHIRP. I just meant that I didn't see a way to edit my post above, so I had to make a new one.

9. KE0MHJ

I tried again tonight with a UV-5R as a receiver on the 2m downlink and my BF-F8HP on the uplink. Pretty sure the 67 mhz tone is programmed in correctly, but I will double check it.

I could hear AO-85 quite well. Better early on, as usual. However I could never hear myself on the downlink when transmitting on my 70 CM antenna.

So... back to the drawing board. If I get a chance I will try on SO-50 to double check that it isn't just an antenna issue.

I did record this pass if anyone would like to hear it.

10. KE0MHJ

Listened to radio nets tonight and found a problem with the UV-5R. Seems if my hand is not on the radio the reception goes dead. Even mounted on a 5 beam antenna the reception goes dead unless my hand is on the radio.

Guess this one goes back and I will just try with another BF-F8HP, or give up on them and wait to get a better rig.