Trying to get answers on Full duplex HT for satellite

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KE7GVK, Jun 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can work satellites with whip or omnidirectional antennas.

You can hunt lions in Africa armed with nothing but a slingshot.

Neither scenarios work very out very well for most people.

If you haven't been on the birds for a while, the landscape has likely changed. You might consider something better than a whip if you intend to work SO-50 or AO-85.

WD9EWK and NJ4Y like this.
  2. K9EI

K9EI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been "trying" (unsuccessfully) to work folks over SO-50 and continuously get drowned out by stronger signals. Yes, I understand the issue of pileup, but sometimes it's just plain ridiculous.

3. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Timing is going to be critical if you're using 5W with an HT. Pick out a strong callsign you are hearing, and when there is a clear break, call them immediately. Be ready to exchange your grid square for theirs in machine gun speed, using clear phonetics. Sometimes the passes can be laid back on weekends, sometimes it's not. This particular weekend there are some rover stations out, passing out sought-after grids. That can be discouraging when you're just trying to make that one, "first" contact. Hang in there.

I will listen for you.

Clayton
    W5PFG

NJ4Y and K9EI like this.
  4. K9EI

K9EI Ham Member QRZ Page

That may explain some things with SO-50 earlier today. I just wished there was a bit more friendly protocol on power output for the FM birds like there is for the AM ones. Even pushing 8-10W handheld still isn't enough to handle those hitting it with 25+W.

I will be attempting to work the Ao-85 bird later today. I see a pass around 6:15 for me near Beaumont, Texas (EM20).

Michael
    AG5JF

5. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Michael - I know what you are talking about, but I think even 10 watts is overkill for both SO-50 and AO-85. For sure, just today I had a QSO with KG4AKV on SO-50 and he was on what I believe was a Kenwood D72 (and I think that's 5 watts max). Myself, I was using a D710 at 10 watts.

edit - I'm setting up to see if I can catch that AO-85 pass. It will be difficult for me, though.

K9EI likes this.
  6. K3RLD

Well, set up on the wrong side of my house, so missed the entire first half of the pass. But at 17deg max elevation, I heard plenty on the second half. For sure, there were a couple of stations that were VERY faint (I couldn't make them out at all). I've been told that AO-85 requires a little more juice than SO-50 (but the one and only attempt I made a few months ago, i got in with 10w). Hopefully you had some luck.

7. K9EI

K9EI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank, Roy. Appreciate the info.

I managed to make 5 contacts on AO-85! One of those was Clayton (W5PFG) who was my third satellite contact overall (Thanks, Clayton).

W5PFG and WD9EWK like this.
  8. K3RLD

Wow! I hear that when the sat op regulars hear a new callsign, they pounce! Looks like they took advantage of you last night! :)

K9EI and W5PFG like this.
  9. K9EI

K9EI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was watching HamRadio.World's YouTube channel trying to see how they modified their Arrow II for better handheld action. While watching KM4IPF's video of her first AO-85 contact, she mentioned it was with W5PFG. Hey, Clayton, you're famous. ;)

10. KE0MHJ

KE0MHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious if anyone heard me over the last two days on Ao-85. Tried a few times. I thought once I heard someone answer back to "MHJ" but then they were drowned out and I get lost between the multiple running QSO's. Either way it is good to be hearing the birds very regularly now since figuring out the issue I was having with the Baofeng.