ad: elecraft

Trying to get answers on Full duplex HT for satellite

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KE7GVK, Jun 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE7GVK

KE7GVK Ham Member QRZ Page

Trolling my own post....but why are we making laser weapons then?! Just point a UHF antenna at the enemy and crank up the power....maybe that's a little cynical. Haha sorry :)

2. VK3AS

VK3AS Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone tried the Yaesu FT-2DR ? Does it work as good as the Kenwood TH-D72 ? 73 Andy

3. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-2DR is not capable of cross-band full-duplex like the TH-D72. It has APRS, so it can be used with the digipeaters on the ISS, NO-84, and (if operational) NO-44.

73!

(was VK/WD9EWK on satellites back in 2011)

VK3AS likes this.
  4. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

No it does not, it does not even work as well as the old Kenwood TH-D7A/E which is full duplex. I have owned both and the FT-2D doesn't come close. I now have an FT-1XDR, it's not full duplex but it's sensitive and the GPS is very fast. The GPS on the FT-2D was junk in comparison, perhaps the FT-2XDR with the newer GPS chip will be better.??

If it helps you can pickup a fairly nice TH-D7 on ebay right now for $150.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-TH-...767699?hash=item46606254d3:g:eX0AAOSwSlBY2H97

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  5. VK3AS

Thanks Patrick ! I think we met at Dayton ? I sold my D72 to buy a D74. Another brilliant idea gone wrong ! Will see if Kenwood Australia has stock of D72's.Thanks Ad5KO will have a look.
    73 Andy VK3AS

AD5KO and WD9EWK like this.
  6. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you cannot find a new D72, there is a healthy used market at the moment since the release of the D74. I made a similar 'selling error' a few years ago, getting rid of my TH-D7A(g) about the time I was really starting to get into portable satellite work. I corrected that error, finally, by picking up a lightly used D72. I like it much better since it has the integrated GPS.

AD5KO likes this.
  7. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe. I have been to Dayton a few times (2006, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014). Are you going to the new Hamvention location this May?

Kenwood dealers here still have the D72 in stock. The local Ham Radio Outlet store manager mentioned that he expected both the TH-F6A and TH-D72A to be discontinued sometime this year, since the TH-D74A is pretty much those two radios in one package with some new stuff like D-Star. I have not seen anything "official" to indicate these two would be discontinued, but it wouldn't surprise me if the older TH-F6A went away.

73!

8. VK3AS

OK Thanks Patrick, no I am not going to Dayton this year but maybe 2018. My Daughter is getting married to a Swiss boy who is in the Swiss army. He is about to be assigned to the UN in New York, so I was thinking of doing a dual visit! Am looking forward to it. 73 Andy

WD9EWK likes this.
  9. W8LID

W8LID Ham Member QRZ Page

I've actually used an 8900 for a FM sat rig for a while. I've used it in two different configurations using an Elk and a shorty Arrow. On SO-50 it has some desense issues but this improved by running the full 50 watts oddly enough. With the shorty Arrow the desense was improved significantly and I could easily get away with low power setting. This rig works like a champ on AO-85 though. Having extra power helps getting into this bird. I have made mobile QSOs on 85 with one, once being a 7 degree pass where I worked VE7CEW in CN87 while cruising through the Mojave in DM14. It is possible to use this rig portable, just takes some ingenuity. The receiver is pretty good and I wish my 817's did as well on FM as it does.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been away from the birds for a while. My home(ly) station uses a TS-590, but most of my sat contacts in the past have with a 2M/5 W H-T radio, (aftermarket antenna) and a 70 cm/23 cm dual band H-T with an aftermarket whip antenna for the receive end. it worked for me! (And I have the pictures to prove it!)