Trying to get a Tandy 1000HX running

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NZ2N, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

If my memory is right, the Tandy has a DD floppy drive, capacity is 360k. Most "modern" drives are HD, and have capacities of 720k, or 1.2m .

The track written by a DD drive is twice as wide as the one written in a HD drive. The Tandy will only be able to read disks formatted in the DD drive, with the wide track. Formatting the disk in a HD drive results in a floppy that can be read in the HD drive, but because of the previous wide track written in the DD drive, DD drives will see a narrow formatted track in the middle of a wide track. Result - read errors.

My experience has been that to use a DD floppy, you must format the disks in them, and they should never have been written to or formatted in a HD drive. It's a nightmare I used to fight all the time. I was delighted when the 3-1/2" floppy came out. It didn't have these issues.

There is no easy solution. There is a web site that has forums concerning old computers where you might find some information ... www dot vintage-computer dot com.

Good luck!

2. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

One of the things that must be remembered was that the media formulations changed
    Single and dual density disks are iron oxide.
    High density is semi-metal.
    Think audio cassette.

3. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

A few other things to check out.

Battery to CMOS any good ?
    if not buy new.
    also if BIOS settings can be peeked at make sure at 720Mb. some may been software in setup download that driver a reflash the drive may be in order in case of some reason the BIOS is causing problems.

second check drive connections with computer off check the ribbon and power connector any greeen or blue gunk on ends is corrosion if its a AT style cable replace it dont waste time cleaning it. also make sure floppy is 720 MB. compatitable  

I just came accross this web page in PDF file

Be sure the red or blue stripe is on pin no 1 reversed your drive light will stay on. also read the docs  A drive and B drive the floppy cable has a twist in it a straight cable will not work.

also check power cable make sure its seated in firmly and look for corosion.

Any loose, corroded stuff can also mess things up.

this looks interesting

720 MB Floppy data PDF file

I just downloaded it.

4. W6TMI

W6TMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be the non PC stick in mud here..

Why are you bothering with obsolete garbage?[​IMG]

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why??? BECAUSE!

The older equipment is still usable, and has REAL serial (RS-232C) ports.
    Actually, I still use a NEC Multispeed (XT compatible floptop) with dual 720 kB, 3.5" drives for packet and contest logging. The display backlight is growing dim, but I can always hook it up to a MultiSync monitor (the original TTL/Analog model) if worst comes to worst. Just spent $12
    for 9.6 Volts/2200mAH worth of new NiMH batteries for the beast.
    RE: The 1000 HX:

Are those 5.25" or 3.5" drives?

You CAN format 3.5" disks to DD (720 kB.) With HD drives, you will have to cover the "hole" opposite the write protect opening; and use opaque tape, so light (IR light) won't pass through.
    You may be able to install a HD drive (1.44 MB)3.5" drive in the HX, that would be the easiest solution.

I assume XP works the same as Windoze 98SE; go to the MS-DOS prompt, and type:

FORMAT A: /F:720 /U

That will do a full (unconditional) format at 720 kB.
    Then try saving your program on the XP machine and transferring it to the "old" machine.
    Good luck.

6. WD4CHP

WD4CHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Because it is fun to fool around with stuff and try to make things work.

A mental challange keeps you young.

This from an "O F"

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides, I paid $1000 for that sucker back in '85, and I want to get my money's worth out of it... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Didn't anybody ever tell you hams are cheap? Er, I mean frugal?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.