Trying to find the technological tubeless, chipless sweet spot.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI7CIL, Jun 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7CIL

KI7CIL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Apologies in advance for the large print... old eyes. And further apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am looking for those rigs completely independent of tubes or chips... wholly solid state. To where I could build the thing on a big enough breadboard, if I had to. (No, not trusting a multi-hundred degree tool to my old eyes, either.)

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of the old QRP Handbooks perhaps?

3. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Vectronics (MFJ) still makes some kits.

4. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Build a Bitx (the old pre DDS type) SSB transceiver from scratch. Make it a monobander for 7 MHz.

This is a description

More here. https://vk3ye.com/projects/projbitx.htm

Many other resources on the web.

Or start off with a simpler CW only transmitter eg

5. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

The old analog readout Ten-Tec rigs are almost completely build of individual components. They sometimes have a couple chips (audio amp, op-amp for audio filters, maybe one or two for the mixers). You could take those out and build them of individual components if you wanted to get rid of the few chips in there.

What are you goals with this? What bands and modes do you want?

6. KI7CIL

Perfectly valid questions, the which I should have addressed in the opening of the thread.

I am after HF bands, SSB voice, as much watts as I can get. Id like to be able to do repairs from cannibalized parts if need be. I'd also like to be as plug n play as possible. (If that earns me the sobriquet of appliance driver, so be it.)

The notion of rig-on-a-breadboard is mostly for doing troubleshooting. I'd prefer to keep things in chassis.

Not to mention a galvanized, well grounded and well interior-insulated trash can with a couple of assembled sets and a couple sets worth of parts.

I hope this fleshed out things. I'm hoping to get this sort of thing together for CUMBERLAND FALL or CUMBERLAND FROST.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That complicates things! The suggestion of an older TenTec is a good one.

8. KI7CIL

I am obliged for the commentary to date. I will ask the mods to lock this thread effective 1 July 2358 CDT, so that the information here is available but no one need be further disturbed.

de KI7CIL