Trying to figure out this computer/radio thing. LOL

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N4FFL, Feb 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

WSJT-x website, WSJT-x User manual, Jan 2018 QST, Join the FT8 Revolution. I can send you my FT8 PPT presentation if you email me, check my qrz.com page. 73

N4FFL likes this.
  2. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TS-2000 - Fldigi, WSJT-x and others - SignalinkUSB - RS-232 serial cable and hamlib for PTT and control (mode, freq, etc) - Linux (Fedora and CentOS). it all works quite nicely together.

Fldigi also does CW quite nicely.

N4FFL likes this.
  3. N4FFL

N4FFL Ham Member QRZ Page

K2CQW - thanks for the info. I’ll shoot you an email.

KA7O - sounds like a good deal. I’m not running Linux but at least that gives me a lead on everything. I just got my SignaLink in today. Only thing I’m waiting for is my antenna and a good day to put it up. Then I’ll see if I can put all this together. LOL!

4. N4FFL

N4FFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ll have to wait to email ya until I convert my account to my callsign. I’m not considered a ham member at the moment and I’ve been waiting on my vanity callsign approval by the FFC so I just have to ask QRZ to just change it once instead of twice. LOL!

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The difficulty with CW is the better signals are generally put out by old timers who aren't interested in sending CW with a computer. New hams rarely have the big yards and mature trees that would allow them to easily install an antenna that would put out a good signal. I've found that if I turn on the amplifier and use my 8-element RX array I have no trouble finding folks to talk to on 80 CW. The amp adds about an S unit to how loud I sound. The RX array allows me to hear an S unit or two better than most stations.

FT8 works really well once you have everything set up properly.

Zak W1VT

N4FFL likes this.