Trying to decide on new radio -- feedback welcomed!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VA3XMR, Feb 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N5XJT

N5XJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have had a TS-450SAT for about 2 yrs. now. It is an outstanding radio in most respects and is quite durable. Have had no problems and the internal tuner is unmatched for speed and range. Receiver performance is not outstanding but is very good. The TS-850 is also a very nice rig but has a few (very few) issues with reliability. Suggest the TS-450SAT for reliability, performance overall and of course price.

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The TS-440 is a better receiver due to filter blow by issues in the TS-450. But, a Yaesu FT450D is better than both Kenwoods due to DNR technology. However, the Kenwood TS-570SG is about $100+ more vs a FT-450D on the used market & I would recommend the additional funds and buy a used TS-570SG. Previous TS-570s do not have 6 meters or three built-in CW filters like the 'SG' model.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Main issues with the 850 are leaking caps on the carrier board and the older DDS chips were prone to failure and are unavailable, period. There were also issues with the display going out, again due to a leaking cap on the display board, a very easy fix. In fact, I've replaced my backlighting with an LED strip so this is a non-issue in my case. If you are seriously looking at an 850, make sure the serial number is higher than 40 million. It will have the newer DDS chips.

As for the caps and the display, make a short drive to Kingston, and I'll do all the mods and upgrades for you. The 850 has one of the best receivers going and when taken care of, they are a great radio for rag chewing or contesting (with optional filters, in this case.)

Max
    VE3TMT

4. N8FVJ

Frankly, I see no reason to buy a radio more than 10 years old due to potential failures beyond the far superior DNR in newer radios

5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it all comes down to budget. I've also owned an FT-1000, FT-2000 and a few other newer radios with DNR. I prefer the sound of the 850 honestly. If I need to employ noise reduction, I run SDR Console on the computer. The IF output of the 850 is fed to my RSP1A receiver, so I get all the benefits of SDR and a panadapter, a win-win in my books.

6. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had the 820 and 830, both good rigs. Also had 430 nice radio, simple. Had a 440 sent it back for repair but still didn't like it, tech says it is what it is. Had an 850 for several years, did have to send it to Avvid in dallas for new DDS chips and Cliff also changed a couple of caps. Came back better then ever. I am a big fan of stacked crystal filters for the mode of interest. I had 500hx and 250 hz in both IFs. Great rig for CW. I am using a 570d loaned by a friend while my Yaesu FT1000mp Mk V Field is in for repair. Nice little radio for general use, but not a fan of DSP verses Crystal filters, just an old geezer I guess. Good luck.

7. SV0SGS

SV0SGS Ham Member QRZ Page

You may indeed want to take a look at ICOM. I own an ICOM IC-7200. It is no longer in production, but you can still pick them up new, and certainly used. It has USB support for CAT control AND Audio. You do not have to buy any audio interface like Signal Link. Save money and room on your desk. This rig does not do FM mode, but is that really relevant on HF bands? The rig has dual band pass filters and many other filters for your filtering pleasure. Since the ICOM IC-7300 has been on the market and has set the bar for price and bang for the buck, many older used rigs should now become cheaper. Anyway, think about it.

8. N8FVJ

Best bang for buck is the Kenwood TS-570D. Not full of hard to access menus, internal antenna tuner is good and tunes better than many radios. It also has DNR. About $400-$450. It is better than TS-440 or TS-450? Yes.