TRUCKERS FREQUENCY

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG6UGS, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

ROFLMAO!!!

Larry, man - you for real?

I haven't enjoyed such a blatant mis-reading of one of my posts in a LONG time. Thanks for the laugh and have a good one. :cool::cool:

2. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, this thread has some funny stuff. Those that take it too seriously, should get a sense of humor. :)

Now that I have the Paragon PLL working, I am in a much better mood.

3. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Yep, life is too short to get so upset.

4. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

That metal siding can be a blessing or a curse. I'm getting close to needing a new roof and I've been thinking about steel. If I do that I'll for sure put on some kind of bonding system and make use of it.

5. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I did do trucking for a total of about five years. Enjoyed it, frankly, but never made any money at it. Last time I drove a truck was in 1979. Many horror stories about driving trucks. Including have a wheel literally fall off a trailer -- two nights in a row! Yep, I picked up that 130 pound wheel and stuck it in the passenger seat. The boss told me later I should have just left it. Heck, shouldn't have fallen off in the first place. I swore, though, after putting that second wheel, the next night, in the passenger seat I would never do it again. Never had the chance, as some idiot found the right wrench and no more wheels fell off. But that's a mild story.

I was a senior electronics technician. The company closed. I was out of a job. Went to the unemployment office and they had nothing down my alley, not even close. So they offered me 'retraining' into something else. That something else was either truck driving or heavy equipment mechanic. The mechanic course was 50 weeks, the truck driving school was six weeks. And I'd make 75 bucks a week take home, tax free, money for going to school! Worked for me! So I went to truck driving school. And that got me started, years before there was a CDL. In fact I left trucking years before the CDL came into being. We had "chauffer's licenses" back then, with endorsements for trucks, tractor-trailers, and the like. Heck I even had a bus and taxi endorsement!

But it was all percentage of the load. 800 bucks for a load paid the driver 25 percent, or 200 bucks, no matter how long it took. And sometimes the broker just 'said' it was 800 when it was really 1,000. So the driver (me) got ripped off.

But I was a very good driver, and I loved driving. So I stuck with it until I just couldn't afford it any longer! Then I quit and became a broadcast announcer/engineer, whatever.

Now come on. How could calling QRZ? DE W5HTW on 28.085 be illegal? I never knew that! Or just calling CQ, which I did on 28.085. Whaddyamean there were AM signals there? Hmmmm. I was looking for a good CW QSO!

But I do admit I heard some very profane profanity (horrible cussin') about "those ^$^#*@ beepers". That didn't mean much to me, so I just called CQ again.

Well, sure, I couldn't call them by their call signs, as they don't have any!

And, yeah, I sure did hear a lot of 'business' communications -- not discussion of the trucking business -- on 14302.5 I mean like "where you can find a good load, what it pays, and other business communications. It went away in the mid or late 1990s, though. I haven't heard any of it since.

I think it was also on 40 meters but I never knew the frquency.

I have occasionally had a trucker call me on 146.52. Rarely, but it has happened. Had the visible two meter antenna, and my call sign on the rear of my car, so I got tagged a couple of times in a year or so. Most of the contacts don't last very long as one of us outdistances the other.

I live near (10 miles) a large truck stop. I do not monitor .52 but one of our club members does. He claims to once in a while hear a trucker there in the yard.

But I admit to the accusation - I did be indeed one of them thar truckers!

Ed

6. KG4ZAR

KG4ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

My apoligies Tate. I'd had a bad day and my frame of mind was out of kilter. I did read the posts twice(my usual routine is three times before posting a retort)and guess I read too much between the lines. If that's the case you have my humble apologies.

My opinion that a "truckers ham frequency" is no different than a bunch of guys ragchewing on the same frequency every night or hanging out on a "home"repeater still stands.

But my outburst towards you was wrong Tate. I admit it here and now.

Larry

7. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Th problem is how the $100 Paragon is doing so good as compared to the $2K MK-V.

The Paragon hears all the signals the MK-V does.

How can that be???? :eek:

Are the things we read in the color brochures BS?

No, it can't be true.

OR IS IT.

OH GOD....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

There's hope for those who've lost (or were born without) a sense of humor. There's a philanthropic organization dedicated to finding donors for the less fortunate. It's called the Harvard Association for Humorless Americans, abbreviated...

HA HA ;)

9. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No One

It appears that the original question has de-volved many times throughout this thread.

Have fun.... This thread is now a 50 page answer to a basic question.

TTFN

JB

10. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

What was the question????

Oh, the trucker frequency?

Or was that the frequency that truckers use?

No matter how you look at it, there are two separate questions assumed.

It was suggested that the wording could be better, but the elite mention how those that don't understand are just not worthy of an explanation. Kind of like the health care thing.

I just don't understand, so I should just shut up. OK.

It just amounts to assumptions.

Or not, if only your personal assumptions are correct, and everyone else is obviously a retard. :)

What is funny, is how everyone has to be right one way or the other, as too how they read the question. But making the question more clear, has no merit?

I guess that would avoid arguing, as it would be clear, and that sure wouldn't be good. Would it?

This IS some funny stuff.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.