ad: ARR

Truck Bed Rail or Receiver Hitch Mount ???

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by N4MU, Sep 12, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using a Tarheel 100 with a Breedlove Bed Rail mount behind the cab left side. It has worked GREAT! I am considering changing to a receiver type mount so I can more quickly remove the antenna from the vehicle, ideally without having to disconnect anything. How do receiver mounts fair? I'm a bit worried due to the fact that all the steel is now in front of the antenna rather than "around" it. I would also use an elevated receiver mount that would put the base of the Tarheel at about the top edge of the tailgate. Should I take the plunge or not. Objective is for quick/easy removal. Oh, and consider the use is stationary; never mobile. Thanks!

2. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a trailer hitch mount for my hustler hf sntennas. It works, but..... it gets in the way when you need to lower the tailgate and I have had to rig a really good ground cable to improve performance. I have gone back to the simpler bed rail mount. Just my opinion.....

Chuck

3. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used both by all means keep your current map if your bed is grounded correctly it's by far the quietest and best RF that you can have. I've tried to convenience thing before and I always sacrifice on performance particularly on 40 and 75

N0RDC likes this.
  4. N0RDC

N0RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

My bed rail Firestik mount ( stake pocket) finally gave out on my Chameleon V1L. Drilled a 1/2" hole into my WilCo prerunner tire carrier mount, have had decent success with it, no measurable loss from the rail mount.
    Thanks to Cal-Av for making a custom black oxide heavy duty spring. The biggest Hustler spring didn't do the trick and I would have a 60 degree angle antenna (unintended NVIS) at high speed, it is now nearly always a vertical.
    73's N0RDC DE Dutch