Trouble working satellite ID5100

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by G0MGM, Mar 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. G0MGM

G0MGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello

I'm new to working satellites. I have got an Elk antenna and I'm trying to use my ID5100 in the car to work satellites. So far I have been listening to the passes of AO85 with some success, but when I try to transmit I dont hear anything back.

I have set up the memories on the ID5100 for uplink starting on 435.170 then 5kHz steps up to 435.190 and each has a Tone freq of 67Hz. I have another memory set up for the downlink on 145.980. Power set to Mid 15w.

During the passes I am getting up to S7 on the radio so good signal levels I think.

I have set the Rx on VFO A and the Tx on VFO B and the squelch wide open on the VFO A.

Are there any other settings to setup on the radio? I read on the Amsat site that radio should be set to 5KHz deviation which equates to 25KHz channel spacing?

Hope someone can help.

Rob G0MGM

2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if there is a menu setting that mutes the opposing band when you are transmitting. I know this is the case on some other Icoms.

I've debated on buying one of these rigs but I don't need it.

3. G0MGM

Hi thanks for the reply.

No its not muting, as I could hear the noise in my headphones as I transmitted.

Another thought that came to my head was I am using FM and not FM-N which according to the manual is 2.5kHz deviation, is that correct?

Rob G0MGM

4. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

15 watts to an Elk might be a little low for AO-85. Try it on high power. Also, you should start on 160 or 165 and move up to 180 through the end of the pass.

You also will probably want to tune your receiver down to 145.975 MHz near the end of the pass.

5. G0MGM

I will give that a try.

Thanks

Rob G0MGM

6. G0MGM

Thanks for that, I have now managed to make my first three satellite QSOs. Now I need to figure out a good way to record the passes instead of writing the info down.

7. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

You could just use a recorder, or a recording app on a mobile phone or tablet, and capture at least your side of the QSOs. Just make sure to say the other station's call in each QSO, and have a time reference for the recording (most will stamp the date/time the recording started in the file name or the metadata for the recording). A little more sophisticated way would be to split the receive audio from your radio to an audio recorder (via patch cable between splitter and recorder's mic jack) and earpiece/earbuds/etc. that you use to hear the pass. Then you're capturing the satellite audio directly from the radio, and - if working full-duplex - you'll hear your voice as well as the other stations.

Were you able to make the ID-5100 work full-duplex? Did you have to make any changes to menu settings? In the past, and even up to the IC-2730A, Icom's 2m/70cm FM mobiles with two VFOs have been able to work FM satellites full-duplex. With separate knobs for VFO, volume, and squelch, it can be easy to press one of these radios into service for FM satellites. I have used an IC-2720H, IC-2820H, and IC-2730A for FM satellite work over the past decade - all nice radios for the satellites, even the IC-2820H which was intended to be used with D-Star.

73!

8. G0MGM

Hi Patrick

Thanks for coming back. Yes I was trying to be clever by using the ID5100 Bluetooth headset and I found an option on the radio to output audio to the ear buds of the headset and also to the speaker, so I need to make up a small 3.5mm jack cable and I should be able to feed it to my iphone and record it on there. Need to try it though.

Yes I am using the ID5100 full duplex, I can hear myself back fine off the satellite when I manage to get into it, no special settings needed just one freq on VFO A and the other on VFO B. I guess I am surprised I need high power to get into the satellite. I need to get more practise at tracking the satellite and hopefully I might not need high power.

Strangely enough I was just reading a letter you sent into Practical Wireless that is in this months magazine.

Rob

9. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have an ID-5100, nor have I tried one at a radio shop. Glad to see that my suspicions - that it can work FM satellites full-duplex - have been confirmed. I'm not much for D-Star, so I'm happy with an IC-2730 for full-duplex FM satellite work.

I have been contributing to Tim Kirby's (G4VXE) VHF/UHF column for a couple of years, either talking about satellites or radios for use with satellites. Usually every 2nd or 3rd month, depending on how often I send Tim information and the room he has for a particular month's column. Tim asked me if I would do that, and I try to be a good contributor. :)

73!

KA0HCP likes this.
  10. G0MGM

Yes I can confirm the ID5100 works Full Duplex so all good for satellite working. I will look out for your contributions in the future.

73 Patrick

Rob G0MGM

WD9EWK likes this.