Trouble differentiating "H", "S", and "5"

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KC3HUM, May 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Listing to code at 20 with regards to the character speed lets you learn the sound of the character properly. If you learn a L at 5 and a then listen to a L at 15,18,20 you will not recognize it. Meaning your going to be learning the L again,along with everything else, at 20.
    So rather than having to relearn the characters again, learn them at 20 to start with, it may seem harder but in the long run its very much easier, then all you have to work on in the future is the recall time. Also it will prevent you from counting the dits and dahs. I do not believe you can lean code at 5 wpm or 10 for that matter without leaning by counting, and once you have started that its over....done....kaput...its in your head. What happens is as you progress once you hit 15 ish, maybe less, and you are still trying to count you can't. Its too fast. So you're done. Then you are trying to learn NOT to count and trying to learn the characters at the sound speed of 20, over again.
    I learned at 5 wpm, with a Gordon West cassette program. I learned counting. When I moved up to 13 for the General I was still counting. I struggled even at 13 and head copy was never a option while counting. It took me a long time to relearn, wasted time, not to count and how to listen properly. I'm a 20/21 these days but even now I might even today catch myself trying to count a certain character now and again. When I do its over, I am immediately lost in the conversation. The time it took me to even think about the counting of a letter Im behind 5 characters. I have learned that head copy and counting are enemies so I have been certain to use head copy most of the time. Good luck, 73 Rich

W5BIB and N7BKV like this.
  2. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why I have to pass by many slow ops. I can gear down and transcribe their 5 or 10 wpm. I it would be a nice QSO. But gets counter productive in my learning curve. So to many I'm a lid at 20ish. OK. Still paying my dues. But I do a lot more listening to FB out there than xmitting. And I put in lots of time on the practice keyer. Skills are building.
    GL, 73
    Brian
    N7BKV

W9RAC likes this.
  3. W9RAC

I agree with it being counter productive with your progress, I do the same thing since I am working on being solid 20/21 head copy. I'm ok with 17+ but lots of times I pass on anything slower. Someday maybe I'll be able to switch back and forth without a issue but not there yet....... maybe never. Low skilled OP here. 73 Rich

N7BKV likes this.
  4. W9RAC

40! Must be nice, I'd be ecstatic with 23...... maybe 22! 73 Rich

W1BR and N7BKV like this.
  5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I did say that I used "aides" ... something sounding a little off with that. Maybe "techy aides" ... slightly better?

Anyway I had been away from ham radio like many years. So I rationalized that I had a retroactive budget. But, I was not going to go nuts with a crank up tilt over tower topped with my dream beam antenna. However, a couple of Begali items (sideswiper & CW Machine) seemed reasonable especially when finding a US ham that had tried and decided they were not for him. Actually he was moving on to a very nice magnetic bug & was looking to improve his "key" budget.

Anyway, doesn't everyone like a couple of new shiny toys to keep interest to delve into a task. Then suddenly the task is not a task, but fun. CW is a lot more fun this time around that it was the 1st time. And, I enjoyed it back then.

6. JQ2UOZ

JQ2UOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your comments. In accordance with your suggestion, I have just edited my website. If you would like, please visit my website: https://jq2uoz.blogspot.com/2018/12/1.html

N7BKV likes this.