Trouble differentiating "H", "S", and "5"

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KC3HUM, May 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's probably the biggest misunderstood part of it....practice. ..practice. ..practice, then as you say it happens. Next thing you know your in a QSO and forget that you get mixed up. Great real advice Dave. 73 Rich

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. N1KWW

N1KWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Under receiving conditions the subject will help sort out difficult letters. Once past "name, rank serial number" rag chewing will help. I confuse H and 5 at times but Morse Machine, which repeats letters often missed. will send with more frequency.

N7BKV likes this.
  3. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think it's a matter of "relearning" anything. If a character is sent too fast for someone to recognize it, then it cannot be learned.
    Thus the suggestion to begin at a speed at which the character is immediately recognizable, cannot be confused with another character and becomes committed to memory.

That, IMHO, is how you avoid "relearning."

K3XR, WB5YUZ and N5CM like this.
  4. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

"the" on paddles still gets jumbled between brain and hand at times. (Too much beer?). So I revert to Rasta Morse. Instead of "the" I just key "da". Flows better. In context it is usually understood.

--- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .- --. .- ... -.-. .- -. -- .- -.- . -.. .- ...- .- -. --. ---

"Only da gas can make da van go"

Or if you if you head copy in Rasta art school context and get the spacing different:

"Only Degas can make da Van Gough" ;)

5. W9RAC

I can agree that trying to lean code at 40 wpm might not be a good idea. A "L" for example sent at 5 wpm sounds nothing like a "L" at 20. When I learned I learned at 5 to get my Novice, then I worked to 13 for the General. Now that I look back had I started with 20 wpm with appropriate spacing I would have been light years ahead. Im at 20/21 now copy so from my experience I suggest set it at 20 and leave it. I believe 20 is pretty much the standard these days with Kotch, Farnsworth and the like, for that reason. I guess we can disagree on this one.......thanks for the comment, 73 Rich

6. W9RAC

I will respectfully disagree with not hearing farnsworth on the air. Im on CW a couple hours a day and I'm amazed of how many OP's I see on the Reverse Beacon Lookup at 20/21 but when I tune in to QSO the actual speed is 18 ish. Everyday, many times. Its Farnsworth 20 wpm 18 ish overall, I don't have a problem with it. Some I hear at 20 or so and actual speed is less, 15/17. No big deal. If you can send at 20/20 then you can send and copy at 20/18. 73 Rich

7. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

What really helped me get solid was going online, fining free ebooks, and converting them to CW in mp3. One book on my phone doesn't take much room, and it's about 80 hours of code I can have for copy practice. AND it's much more enjoyable than random letters.

8. W9RAC

Tune in 7.110-7.120, you will find a ton of new OP's in the area, 5 wpm +. No shortages of QSO's in this area, the old Novice 40 meter CW area. 73 Rich

WB5YUZ likes this.
  9. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Im kinda wondering if when you learn copying at ~20 wpm is it going to make it difficult to copy the slow 5 wpm code found on the air? It kinda feels that way after listening to a op on the air send pretty slow. Its just not the same sound of each letter. I can see what people mean having to re learn the code, but maybe we should all know how to copy at 5 and 20ish?

Im interested in joing the SKCC and setting up some skeds with other hams, but I'm using a paddle and keyer... I don't wan't to switch to learning the straight key until after I master this paddle.

10. VK2ICJ

VK2ICJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't your keyer work with slow code? I can slow right down if someone needs.

Chris